A Dismantler Certificate authorizes you to:
- Run a business buying, selling, or processing vehicles for the purpose of destroying, salvaging or substantially altering in form; or
- Run a business of dealing in or processing vehicle major component parts that are stocked in the inventory of the business as long as the buying, selling, dealing in, or processing of major component parts is not part of a business selling new vehicles or repairing vehicles.
- This certificate does not allow a business to process vehicles into scrap metal.
How to Qualify/Apply
In order to qualify and apply, you must:
- Complete the Application (Form # 373) for a three year dismantler certificate; and
- Get city, county and/or local government approval of your business location;
- Supply a plat map or hand drawn map of your business location;
- Include ownership information on your application;
- Secure a $10,000 bond approved by the Attorney General's office;
- Pay an $800 application fee; and
- Submit your completed application, supporting materials and payment by mail or in person at DMV Headquarters, Business Regulation section.
In completing and submitting your application, you must provide the information and/or satisfy the conditions defined in the section below.
A Dismantler Certificate is valid for three years from the date it’s issued. You must reapply every three years.
To reapply, complete all of the steps in the How to Qualify/Apply section above.
Rules and Laws about Dismantlers
Use the links below to go directly to the applicable statutes:
Note: In using the links above, you may need to scroll down to find the correct ORS or OAR reference.