In order to qualify and apply, instructor candidates must:
- Have a high school diploma or better;
- Have experience operating snowmobiles;
- Have a recommendation from a local snowmobile club or a member of the Oregon State Snowmobile Association;
- Complete a Snowmobile Safety Instructor Application (Form 735-6616); and
- Take a 50-question exam at a DMV office, based on ORS 821.050-320, OAR 735-162 and the "Snowmobile Safety and You" manual, and score at least 90% to pass.
Note: There is no fee or expiration date for this certificate. Note: Additional application details are included in the application form. Note: DMV only provides "Snowmobile Safety and You" manuals to certified snowmobile safety instructors, who in turn, provide them to their students.
You may print the application form
on your computer, or you may obtain a hardcopy form by calling DMV Business Regulations at (503) 945-5052.
You may submit your completed application, supporting materials and payment by mail or in person to our office at:
Driver and Motor Vehicle Services
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
Note: Due to the added costs of merchant fees, DMV offices only accept cash or checks and do not accept credit or debit cards.
For more information you may contact DMV Business Regulations at (503) 945-5052.