DMV will issue this permit once we have received the following:
- A certificate from a licensed vision specialist that your vision meets the criteria for the program and that you have been fitted with a bioptic telescopic lens;
- Proof that you have enrolled in a rehabilitation training program offered by a DMV certified training specialist (this may be a confirmation of enrollment on the program's letterhead);
- Your completed Special Limited Vision Condition Learner's Permit Application (Form 735-173a);
- The $13 fee for the permit; and
- You have passed DMV's knowledge test and paid the $5 fee for that test.
The Driver Safety Unit and DMV headquarters will mail the permit to the rehabilitation training program once all the requirements are met.
You may mail the certificate from the vision specialist and the proof of enrollment in a rehabilitation training program directly to:
Driver Safety Unit
1905 Lana Avenue NE
Salem, Oregon 97314
You will need to complete the application form, take the knowledge test and pay fees at a DMV office. You may submit the certificate from the vision specialist and the proof of enrollment in the DMV office as well. There is no specific order in which these requirements must be met. However, the Special Limited Vision Condition Learner's Permit will not be issued until all have been met.
Questions about your application?
If you have questions about your application you can call the Driver Safety Unit at (503) 945-5086.
Scheduling your Drive Test
Once you have completed the rehabilitation program, have received a Certificate of Competency from your rehabilitation specialist and are ready to apply for a driver license, please call (503) 945-5523 to schedule your drive test.