ORS 801.345 defines a moped as a vehicle, including any bicycle equipped with a power source, other than an electric assisted bicycle as defined in ORS 801.258 or a motor assisted scooter as defined in ORS 801.348, that complies with all of the following:
- It is designed to be operated on the ground upon wheels.
- It has a seat or saddle for use of the rider.
- It is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.
- It is equipped with an independent power source that:
- Is capable of propelling the vehicle, unassisted, at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a level road surface; and
- If the power source is a combustion engine, has a piston or rotor displacement of 35.01 to 50 cubic centimeters regardless of the number of chambers in the power source.
- It is equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only and does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the system is engaged.
Note: In using the ORS link above, you will need to scroll down to find the correct ORS reference.