Oct 17, 2011
Installation and training will cause most DMV offices to close for a day
Oregon DMV wants to remind customers to check http://www.oregondmv.com/ before they visit their local DMV office to make sure it's open.
DMV is installing new knowledge-test kiosks at its offices across the state through early November. Each office must close for one day for installation of equipment and staff training.
DMV offices also close occasionally because of staffing or statewide furloughs, so it's always a good idea to check OregonDMV.com before going to a DMV office.
As of Oct. 17, DMV is about two-thirds done with the statewide installation project. Customers can check the list below to see when their local DMV office will be closed or whether installation at that office already has been completed.
DMV uses automated testing devices, or ATDs, to give the multiple-choice test of Oregon traffic laws and driver safety knowledge. Passing the knowledge test is one of the requirements for driving privileges in Oregon.
DMV installed the current ATD system in 1999. Both the software and hardware are obsolete and difficult to maintain. Replacing the ATD kiosks and software, as well as training DMV staff to use the new system, will require most DMV offices to close for a day this fall.
A few DMV offices do not offer knowledge testing or are open only one day per week, so not every DMV office will be affected. A handful of offices will need to close for more than one day.
"We planned the installation schedule so that no two offices in any region are closed on the same day," DMV Field Services Manager Stephanie Miles said. "People can plan their visits to DMV around these closures, but we always encourage customers to do their DMV business by mail or online whenever possible."
Most passenger vehicle registrations can be renewed online at OregonDMV.com, as well as by mail. Oregon residents also can file a change of address or a notice of sale of their vehicle at OregonDMV.com.
The new ATDs will use randomly selected questions and function similarly to the previous devices. The new kiosks let users adjust the font size for reading comfort. The new system also inputs the test scores directly into DMV’s computer system, saving staff time and avoiding the risk of errors in manual entry.
Here are Oregon DMV offices listed alphabetically with their closure dates:
- Albany – Completed Oct. 12
- Ashland – Completed Oct. 12
- Astoria – Wednesday, Nov. 2
- Baker City – Completed Oct. 5
- Beaverton – Wednesday, Nov. 2
- Bend – Completed Oct. 6
- Brookings – Tuesday, Oct. 25
- Burns – Completed Oct. 6-7
- Canyonville – Wednesday, Oct. 26
- Cave Junction – Completed Oct. 13
- Condon – No closure
- Coos Bay – Wednesday, Oct. 26
- Coquille – Tuesday, Oct. 25
- Corvallis – Completed Oct. 11
- Cottage Grove – Friday, Oct. 28
- Dallas – Completed Oct. 14
- Enterprise – Completed Oct. 12
- Eugene (2870 W 10th Place) – Completed Sept. 15
- Eugene (Valley River Center) – No closure
- Florence – Thursday, Oct. 27
- Gladstone – Completed Sept. 8
- Grants Pass – Completed Oct. 13
- Gresham – Completed Oct. 4
- Heppner – No closure
- Hermiston – Completed Oct. 14
- Hillsboro – Completed Sept. 9
- Hood River – Wednesday, Nov. 2
- John Day – Completed Oct. 6
- Junction City – Wednesday, Oct. 26
- Klamath Falls – Completed Oct. 11
- La Grande – Completed Oct. 11
- La Pine – No closure
- Lake Oswego – Thursday, Nov. 3
- Lakeview – Completed Oct. 10-11
- Lebanon – Completed Oct. 10
- Lincoln City – Monday, Oct. 31
- Madras – Completed Oct. 4-5
- McMinnville – Friday, Oct. 28
- Medford – Completed Sept. 16
- Milton-Freewater – Completed Oct. 13
- Newport – Friday, Oct. 28
- Oakridge – Tuesday, Oct. 25 (Note: Office is open only on Tuesdays)
- Ontario – Completed Oct. 4
- Pendleton – Completed Sept. 7
- Portland - downtown (1502 SW Sixth Ave.) – Thursday, Nov. 3
- Portland - Lloyd Center – No closure
- Portland - North (8260 N Interstate Ave.) – Completed Oct. 7
- Portland - Northeast (1836 NE 82nd Ave.) – Completed Oct. 6
- Portland - Southeast (8710 SE Powell Blvd.) – Completed Oct. 5
- Prineville – Completed Oct. 4
- Redmond – Completed Oct. 7
- Roseburg – Thursday, Oct. 27
- Saint Helens – Thursday, Nov. 3
- Salem - North (3809 Center St. NE) – Completed Sept. 14
- Salem - South (4555 Liberty Road S) – Thursday, Oct. 27
- Sandy – Completed Oct. 3
- Sherwood – Tuesday, Nov. 1
- Springfield – Tuesday, Oct. 25
- Stayton – Completed Oct. 13
- Tanasbourne – No closure
- The Dalles – Tuesday, Nov. 1
- Tillamook – Tuesday, Nov. 1
- Woodburn – Completed Sept. 13