DMV issues titles for all motor vehicles that are eligible to receive a title in Oregon, including commercial vehicles.
Note: MCTD also regulates safety, insurance and economic matters, and administers Oregon's weight-mile tax. Most vehicles with a combined weight over 26,000 pounds are subject to the weight-mile tax, however, some vehicles may be subject to MCTD requirements regardless of their weight.
DMV only issues registrations and license plates for a subset of commercial vehicles:
- Heavy trucks or permanent fleet (T or PF-plated) vehicles at 26,000 pounds or less combined or loaded weight; or over 26,001 pounds or less combined or loaded weight but not subject to weight-mile tax.
- Buses (B-plated) with a registration weight over 26,000 pounds only with a certification that the vehicle is not subject to the weight-mile tax.
- Charitable/non-profit vehicles (CN-plated).
- Government exempt vehicles (E-plated).
- Farm vehicles (F-plated).
- Tow/Recovery (TW-plated) vehicles with a registration weight of 10,000 pounds or less and with a registration weight of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds. See Tow/Recovery Vehicles for more information.
- Manufactured structure toters.
For more information about titling a vehicle and/or registering one of the limited types of commercial vehicles (listed above) with DMV, visit our Titling & Registering Your Vehicle