Follow the instructions below if you have a renewal reminder and want to change to a plate type that is listed as an option on the reminder:
- Choose the type of plate you would like from the options provided.
- Calculate and pay the applicable license plate fees and special registration surcharges.
- Write the type of plate you want on your renewal reminder and include the fees with your registration renewal payment.
- Mail your renewal reminder and payment to DMV, or
- Visit a DMV office to renew and change plates (You may or may not be able to receive your new plates at the DMV office depending on the type of plate you request).
DMV mails renewal reminders about 45 days before the vehicle registration expiration date. If you have lost your renewal reminder, you may contact DMV
for a duplicate, or refer to the Apply Without Renewal Reminder section below.