Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Light Vehicle Trip Permits
General Information
The light vehicle trip permit allows operation of the following unregistered vehicles:
  • Passenger vehicles (10,000 pounds and under)
  • Light trailers and special use trailers (8,000 pounds and under)
  • Low-speed vehicles
  • Medium-speed electric vehicles
  • Mopeds
  • Motorcycles
Up to two light vehicle trip permits can be issued for a vehicle within a 12-month period, unless there is a complete change in ownership of the vehicle.

 21 Consecutive Days​ $30​
How to Apply
To apply, you must provide DMV with a request that includes:
  • Your name;
  • Your address;
  • Your driver license or ID card number, and state of issuance (if not Oregon); 
  • The year, make and model of the vehicle;
  • The vehicle identification number (VIN)*;  
  • Insurance company name and policy number (for motor vehicles only, not trailers); and 
  • Payment (check made out to "Oregon DMV" or money order). 
* Proof of the VIN is required, if the vehicle is not titled in Oregon, or Oregon DMV has no record of the vehicle.  Examples of acceptable proof of the VIN are:
  • Vehicle registration card
  • Insurance card or policy
  • Sales contract
  • Pencil tracing of the VIN
You can purchase DMV issued permits at DMV offices located throughout the state, or from DMV headquarters by mail. If submitting your request by mail, include a letter with all the requirements listed above.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact DMV.

Related Information
Additional information that may be relevant includes: