Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Registered Vehicle Trip Permits


This page provides information about registered vehicle trip permits.
Use the links below to go directly to any section:
General Information
The registered vehicle trip permit allows the operation of Oregon-registered vehicles under conditions, or in ways, not allowed by the current registration.
DMV issues these permits most often to government vehicles with E plates, and to school buses with SC (school bus) plates.  The vehicle must have current (not expired) Oregon registration in order to be issued a registered vehicle trip permit.
This permit is not for vehicles currently registered as farm, prorated farm, for-rent, charitable/non-profit, tow/recovery, or as manufactured structure transporters. Furthermore, a person cannot buy this trip permit to operate as a tow/recovery business, since a tow business certificate is required.
Note: For a light (passenger) vehicle with expired registration, see Light Vehicle Trip Permits. For a passenger vehicle that will be temporarily towing a trailer at a greater weight than current registration allows, see Registration Weight Trip Permits.

 10 Consecutive Days​ $7.50​
How to Apply
To apply, you must provide DMV with a request that includes:
  • Your name;
  • Your address;
  • Your driver license or ID card number, and state of issuance (if not Oregon); 
  • The year, make and model of the vehicle;
  • The vehicle identification number (VIN); and
  • Payment (check made out to "Oregon DMV" or money order). 
You can purchase DMV issued permits at DMV offices located throughout the state, or from DMV headquarters by mail.  If submitting your request by mail, include a letter with all the requirements listed above. 
If you have questions or need more information, please contact DMV.

Related Information
Additional information that may be relevant includes: