To apply, you must provide DMV with a request that includes:
- Your name;
- Your address;
- Your driver license or ID card number and state of issuance (if not Oregon);
- Vehicle make and model;
- Vehicle year;
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN);
- Vehicle length;
- Insurance company name and policy number (for motor vehicles only, not trailers or campers);
- Desired permit duration (specify 1 to 10 days);
- Proof of ownership*; and
- Payment (check made out to "Oregon DMV" or money order).
* If the person who is buying the trip permit is not the current owner, as shown on Oregon DMV records, provide a document or copy of a document showing proof of ownership. Examples of acceptable proof of ownership are:
- Bill of sale from previous owner;
- Secure odometer statement or secure power of attorney;
- Copy of insurance policy covering vehicle;
- Copy of contract or agreement to purchase vehicle;
- Out of state ownership document; or
- Legal document awarding ownership of the vehicle.
You can purchase DMV issued permits at DMV offices
located throughout the state, or from DMV headquarters by mail
. If submitting your request by mail, include a letter with all the requirements listed above.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact DMV