Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Titling & Registering a New Vehicle


This page provides information about titling and registering a new vehicle.
Use the links below to go directly to any section:
How to Apply
If you bought your new vehicle from an Oregon dealer, they may submit the title and registration paperwork to DMV for you. Otherwise, you must apply.
IMPORTANT: Before applying, please determine if you legally qualify for Oregon vehicle registration
If you are submitting the application and fees yourself, you must:
  • Fill out an Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226):
  • Provide your original Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin - MCO (if you do not have an MCO, contact DMV for more information);
  • Prove compliance with or exemption from the Low Emissions Vehicle (LEV) requirement. Vehicles subject to LEV include 2009 model year or newer passenger vehicles with 7,500 or less mileage. The LEV requirement does not apply to electric, hybrid, or government-owned passenger vehicles;
  • Provide the odometer disclosure:
    • This is done at the time of sale, usually on the back of the MCO,
    • If needed, a secure odometer disclosure form may be used,
    • If you need a Secure Odometer Disclosure (Form 735-403), contact DMV;
  • Provide releases of interest from previous owners using the:
  • Choose license plates (click here for choices):
    • If you choose a specialty plate, write the name of that plate in the “Remarks” section of your application,
    • You may transfer Oregon plates you own to your new vehicle:
      • The plates must be a type that DMV still issues, or have a specialty background,
      • The plates must be in good condition and readable, and
      • The plates can only be transferred to the same type of vehicle,
    • When you transfer plates:
      • The expiration date of the registration will remain the same,
      • Expired plates cannot be transferred, unless registration fees are paid at the time of plate transfer, and
      • You must pay a plate transfer fee of $6;
  • Figure and pay all applicable fees;
  • Submit your completed application, supporting materials and payment to DMV.

    Note: By submitting an application for registration, you are certifying that you have the insurance required by Oregon law and that you will comply with Oregon's motor vehicle insurance requirements as long as the vehicle is registered in your name. 

    How to Submit Your Application
    If you are buying or renewing plates and need a temporary permit to drive the vehicle, you may submit your completed application, supporting materials and payment to a DMV office (if all is in order, you may be able to get plates or stickers at the office), or mail your materials to the address below:
    Oregon DMV
    1905 Lana Ave NE
    Salem, OR 97314
    Make checks or money orders payable to “Oregon DMV". 
    If you are mailing your Application for Title and Registration, you may want to keep the Notice of Transaction Submitted page and a copy of the Bill of Sale in the glove compartment of the vehicle until the registration card is received. 
    To get a vehicle identification number inspection, you must go to a full service or regular DMV office.
    Note: All DMV offices accept cash or checks and will be able to accept debit and credit cards for payment by the end of 2016. Certain DMV offices are already able to take debit and credit card payments.

    How Long Will It Take?
    If your paperwork is accurate and complete when received at DMV Headquarters in Salem, and your payment is correct, your plates are generally mailed within 5-10 business days. 
    Titles are generally mailed to applicants about three to five weeks after DMV receives the necessary paperwork. Delays may occur during peak processing months.

    Related Information
    Additional information that may be relevant includes: