Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Titling & Registering Out-of-State Vehicles with Title


This page provides information about titling and registering an out-of-state vehicle when you hold the title or you just purchased it. 
Use the links below to go directly to any section:
Important: Before applying, please determine if you legally qualify for Oregon vehicle registration.
Note: If you do not have the vehicle title because your security interest holder has it, you will need to follow different instructions
Note: If your out-of-state title has been lost, you will need to obtain a replacement title from the other state first.
Note: If you have purchased, or are looking to purchase, a used vehicle from out of state, be wary of flood damage. Be especially cautious of vehicles that may have been damaged by Hurricane floods.
Note: If a vehicle has had certain kinds of damage, an Oregon title cannot be issued.

How to Apply
To apply for a title and registration, you must:
  • Fill out an Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226):
  • Pass an emissions test at DEQ if you live in the Portland Metro Area or the Rogue Valley (Medford area) and are required to do so;
  • Prove compliance with or exemption from the Low Emissions Vehicle (LEV) requirement if applicable:
    • Vehicles subject to LEV include 2009 model year or newer passenger vehicles with 7,500 or less mileage,
    • Exemptions include vehicles purchased by non-residents of Oregon before establishing residency in the state, 
    • The LEV requirement does not apply to electric, hybrid, or government-owned passenger vehicles;
  • Provide an odometer disclosure from the seller if you bought the vehicle, or provide an odometer disclosure on your application if you are the owner on the title or the seller is not available to provide a disclosure;
  • Provide releases of interest from the previous owner(s) if the title is not in your name, using the:
  • Get a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspection:
    • You can get a VIN inspection at a DMV office,
    • You will be charged a $7 fee for this service,
    • You may be able to get a VIN inspection at DEQ;  
  • Choose license plates for your vehicle from the options available:
    • If you choose a specialty plate, write the name of that plate in the “Remarks” section of your application,
    • You may transfer Oregon plates you own to your vehicle:
      • The plates must be a type that DMV still issues, or have a specialty background,
      • The plates must be in good condition and readable, and
      • The plates can only be transferred to the same type of vehicle,
    • If you transfer plates:
      • The expiration date of the registration will remain the same,
      • Expired plates cannot be transferred, unless registration fees are paid at the time of plate transfer,
      • You must pay a plate transfer fee of $6;
  • Calculate and pay all applicable fees
  • Submit your completed application, supporting materials and payment to DMV (see next section).
    Note: By submitting an application for registration, you are certifying that you have the insurance required by Oregon law and that you will comply with Oregon's motor vehicle insurance requirements as long as the vehicle is registered in your name.

    How to Submit Your Application
    If you need a temporary permit to drive your out of state vehicle on Oregon roadways, you may submit your completed application, supporting materials and payment (check or money order payable to "Oregon DMV") to a DMV office, and if all is in order, you may be able to get license plates and/or stickers at the office.
    Otherwise, you will need to mail your completed application, supporting materials and payment (check or money order payable to "Oregon DMV") to the address below:
    Oregon DMV
    1905 Lana Ave NE
    Salem, OR 97314
    Note: If you are mailing your Application for Title and Registration, you may want to keep the Notice of Transaction Submitted page and a copy of the Bill of Sale in the glove compartment of the vehicle until the registration card is received. 
    Note: All DMV offices accept cash or checks and will be able to accept debit and credit cards for payment by the end of 2016. Certain DMV offices are already able to take debit and credit card payments.

    How Long Will It Take?
    If your mailed application materials are accurate and complete when received by DMV, and your payment is correct, your plates are generally mailed within 5-10 business days. 
    Titles are generally mailed to applicants about three to five weeks after DMV receives the necessary paperwork. Delays may occur during peak processing months.

    Related Information
    Additional information that may be relevant includes: