Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Replacing Oregon Titles


This page provides general information on replacing an Oregon vehicle title.
Use the links below to go directly to any section:
General Information
If an Oregon vehicle title is lost, destroyed, or damaged, the owner may follow the steps listed in the sections below to apply for a replacement (duplicate).
See Replacing & Transferring Oregon Titles if the title is lost for a vehicle you have purchased.
Please note that DMV can issue a replacement title only if the title is lost, destroyed, or damaged. Someone must also certify what happened to the original title on the Application for Replacement Title (Form 735-515). A stolen title is considered lost only if an unknown party with no possible ownership interest stole it. You cannot apply for a replacement title when you know, or believe you know, who stole or possesses the title.
If you need to replace or transfer a title because one or more owners are deceased, see our Inheriting a Vehicle page.
For clarification and/or further information, please contact DMV.

How to Apply
To apply for a replacement/duplicate title, follow the set of instructions that applies to your transaction:
Replacement Transfer without Registration Renewal
Follow these instructions to obtain replacement title only.
  • Fill out an Application for Replacement Title (Form 735-515):
  • Figure and pay the applicable title fee; and
  • Submit your completed applications, supporting materials and payment to DMV.
Replacement Title with Registration Renewal
Follow these instructions if you wish to renew registration or get new plates at the same time you replace a lost title. 
  • Fill out an Application for Replacement Title (Form 735-515):
    • All registered owners must sign the application; 
  • Fill out an Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226), if also renewing registration:
    • Include your insurance company name and policy number;
  • Pass an emissions test at DEQ if you live in the Portland Area or the Rogue Valley (Medford);
  • Choose license plates if you would like to change plates, or if new plates are not needed, skip to next bulleted item:
    • If you choose a specialty plate, write the name of that plate in the “Remarks” section of your application
    • You may transfer Oregon plates you own to your vehicle:
      • The plates must be a type that DMV still issues, or have a specialty background
      • The plates must be in good condition and readable
      • The plates can only be transferred to the same type of vehicle
    • When you transfer plates:
      • The expiration date of the registration will remain the same
      • Expired plates cannot be transferred, unless registration fees are paid at the time of plate transfer
      • You must pay a plate transfer fee of $6;
  • Figure and pay all applicable fees
  • Submit your completed applications, supporting materials and payment to DMV.
How to Submit Your Applications
If you are registering and need a temporary permit to drive your vehicle, you may submit your completed applications, supporting materials and payment to a DMV office (if all is in order, you may be able to get plates or stickers at the office), or mail your materials to the address below:
Oregon DMV
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
Make checks or money orders payable to "Oregon DMV."  
Note: All DMV offices accept cash or checks and will be able to accept debit and credit cards for payment by the end of 2016. Certain DMV offices are already able to take debit and credit card payments.

How Long Will It Take
If your paperwork is accurate and complete when received at DMV Headquarters in Salem, and your payment is correct, your plates are generally mailed within 5-10 business days.
Titles are mailed to applicants about three to five weeks after DMV receives the necessary paperwork.

Related Information
Additional information that may be relevant includes: