Titling & Registering Oregon-titled Vehicles
|How to Apply|
To apply for a title and registration, you must:
- Get the current Oregon title from the seller;
- Get the previous owner(s) to release their interest in the vehicle, using:
- Fill out an Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226):
- Include an odometer disclosure, if required, using:
- Back of the title, or
- Secure Odometer Disclosure/Reassignment form (contact DMV for this form);
- If you are renewing license plates and you live in the Portland or Rogue Valley (Medford) area, or if you need to register a vehicle with no Oregon registration, your vehicle must pass a DEQ inspection (if the vehicle has current unexpired Oregon registration, you do not need to go to DEQ until it is time to renew the registration);
- Choose license plates:
- If you choose a specialty plate, write the name of that plate in the “Remarks” section of your application,
- You may transfer Oregon plates you own to your vehicle:
- The plates must be a type that DMV still issues, or have a specialty background,
- The plates must be in good condition and readable, and
- The plates can only be transferred to the same type of vehicle,
- When you transfer plates:
- The expiration date of the registration will remain the same,
- Expired plates cannot be transferred, unless registration fees are paid at the time of plate transfer,
- You must pay a plate transfer fee of $6;
- Figure and pay all applicable fees;
- Submit your completed application, supporting materials and payment to DMV.
Note: By submitting an application for registration, you are certifying that you have the insurance required by Oregon law and that you will comply with Oregon's motor vehicle insurance requirements as long as the vehicle is registered in your name.
|How to Submit Your Application|
If you are registering and need a temporary permit to drive the vehicle you may submit your completed application, supporting materials and payment to a DMV office
(if all is in order, you may be able to get plates or stickers at the office), or mail your materials to the address below:
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
Make checks or money orders payable to “Oregon DMV."
If you are mailing your Application for Title and Registration, you may want to keep the Notice of Transaction Submitted page and a copy of the Bill of Sale in the glove compartment of the vehicle until the registration card is received.
Note: All DMV offices accept cash or checks and will be able to accept debit and credit cards for payment by the end of 2016. Certain DMV offices are already able to take debit and credit card payments.
|How Long Will It Take|
If your paperwork is accurate and complete when received at DMV Headquarters in Salem, and your payment is correct, your plates are generally mailed within 5-10 business days.
Titles are generally mailed to applicants about three to five weeks after DMV receives the necessary paperwork. Delays may occur during peak processing months.
If you have not received your title or registration card after five weeks, please call (503) 945-5000, or in Portland call (503) 299-9999. Do not cancel your check. We will look up the status of your transaction.
Additional information that may be relevant includes: