Updating small town main streets can pose a challenge to balance the unique and original character of the town, with modern transportation design and planning.
Here are some strategies for finding a balance:
- Look at historic photographs to see how the town has evolved. What did it look like before the automobile, at the turn of the century, in the 1920s and the 1950s?
- Look at the town today. What historic features remain? What needs to be improved to make it vital and economically successful?
- Work with professionals, community leaders and local citizens to design a vision for the future that builds upon the best of the past.
- Meets current safety, ADA, and construction standards.
- Allow the town's own character to show through by minimizing unnecessary additions or new features.
- Keep the design simple.