Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image

Oregon Coastal Highway Bridges
Overview
 
Welcome to the Coastal Bridges page, presented by Environmental Services, Oregon Department of Transportation. The links below show photos of some of the more notable bridges located along Oregon´s scenic coastal highway (US101).
 
A new brochure on Oregon´s magnificent collection of bridges on the Coast Highway has been developed. An online version of  the brochure in PDF format (for Acrobat Reader) can be viewed here.
 
Please email James Norman  for more information.
 
(All photo´s on this page are by James Norman, ODOT)
 

Coos Bay Bridge

Coos Bay (McCullough Memorial) Bridge, Coos County, 1936
 
This cantilever truss exhibits an array of architectural and decorative features. At 5,305 feet the 1,709 foot through truss has a main span of 793 feet and is flanked by thirteen open-spandrel, rib-type reinforced concrete deck arches. To ease design conflict between the steel truss and the arch spans, the cantilever was constructed with curved upper and lower chords.
    
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Rogue River Bridge

Rogue River ( Gold Beach) Bridge, Curry County, 1931
 
This 1,898-foot structure consists of seven 230-foot open-spandrel rib type reinforced concrete deck arch span and eighteen concrete deck girnder approach. Architectural and decorative features include fluted Art-Deco entrance pylons, dentils, ornate bracketing and sidewalk railing, fluted spandrel columns and detailed arched fascia curtain walls.
 
     
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Big Creek Bridge

Big Creek Bridge, Lane County, 1931
 
The main span of the Big Creek Bridge is a 120-foot reinforced concrete through tied arch, elliptical in shape. Very similar in design and size to the Wilson River and Tenmile Creek Bridges, the Big Creek Bridge is one of the first reinforced concrete tied arch spans to be constructed in this country. The Bridge is well suited to its location and has an attractive precast concrete railing. The concrete deck girder approach spans have arched fascia curtain walls and contribute to an overall structure length of 235 feet. The bridge was designed by Conde B. McCullough, State Bridge Engineer, and constructed by the Union Bridge Company. Click here for a map showing the location of the Big Creek Bridge. - map
 
      
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Alsea Bay Bridge

Alsea Bay Bridge, Lincoln County, 1992
 
The new Alsea Bay Bridge replaced a 1936 Conde B. McCullough reinforced concrete arch design, which had fallen into disrepair by the early 1980s. The new bridge was designed by Howard Needles Tammen and Bergendoff of Bellevue, Washington with assistance from Walt Hart, the State Bridge Engineer. The bridge was constructed by the General Construction Company of Seattle, Washington for a cost of 42.4 million dollars. Two of the original McCullough pylons, spires, and some railing were incorporated into the new steel and cable arch central to the bridge. The arch is 450-feet long and 90-feet high. The 80-foot wide Alsea Bay Bridge provides a navigational clearance of 70-feet. Steel and concrete piles reach more than 100-feet into the bedrock below. Many of the new bridge components are stainless steel, and concrete and steel features are coated with sealers to prevent salt intrusion. Click here for map showing the location of the Alsea Bay Bridge - map 
      
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Cape Creek Bridge

Cape Creek Bridge, Lane County, 1932
 
The bridge over Cape Creek, one of Conde B. McCullough´s most unique and attractive arch designs, abuts the Cape Creek Tunnel on the Oregon Coast Highway at Devil´s Elbow State Park. The numerous columns and arches of the bridge, complemented by the elevation, create an image reminiscent of the Roman aqueducts, particularly the Pont du Gard, near Nimes, France. The double-tiered structure and the sheer number of arches promote a sense of rhythm that combines with the decorative bracketing and railing to make this a very handsome structure. The main span of the 619-foot structure is a 220-foot open spandrel rib-type reinforced concrete deck arch. The Cape Creek Bridge was constructed by John K. Holt and the Clackamas Construction Company. Click here for a map showing the Devil´s Elbow vicinity. - map
      
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Thomas Creek Bridge

Thomas Creek Bridge, Curry County, 1961
 
This 956 feet structure consists of three steel deck trusses (maximum span, 371 feet), supported on steel frame towers on concrete piers. The trusses are Warrens with verticals. This structure is the highest bridge in Oregon at 345 feet and spans a deep ravine on the Oregon Coast.
      
 
 

Columbia River Bridge

Columbia River (Astoria) Bridge, Clatsop County, 1966
 
The Columbia River (Astoria) Bridge, also known as the Astoria-Megler Bridge is just over four miles long (21,474 feet), and is the longest bridge in Oregon. The main span is a 2,468-foot steel cantilever through truss, and is flanked by five steel deck trusses, one hundred forty 80-foot concrete deck girder spans, and, at the Washington end of the bridge, seven 350-foot steel through truss spans. The bridge was designed jointly by the Oregon and Washington state highway departments. Construction was begun in 1962, and completed in 1966.
 
 
      
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Umpqua River Bridge

Umpqua River (Reedsport) Bridge, Douglas County, 1936
 
One of the five major structures built during Oregon’s Coast Bridge project. The steel through truss central span, at 430 feet, is the largest swing span structure in Oregon and is notable as a representative of this outdated moveable bridge technology. Two 154-foot reinforced concrete through tied (or bowstring type) arch spans are on either side of the central truss swing span. The Reedsport Bridge has decorative railings, bracketing, and approach pylons.
 
       

Siuslaw River Bridge

Siuslaw River Bridge, Lane County, 1936
 
This combination steel double-leaf bascule drawspan and reinforced concrete through tied arch structure is an outstanding example of the design work of Oregon's noted State Bridge Engineer, Conde B. McCullough. Decorative treatment abounds with approach pylons, ornate railings, obelisk towers, and other details on the bridge. The Florence bridge was one of five major structures built as part of Oregon's Coast Bridges Project in 1936. Like the other bridges completed on the Oregon Coast Highway in 1936, the Siuslaw River Bridge replaced ferry service across one of Oregon's major rivers. The 140-foot central bascule span is flanked by two 154-foot concrete through tied (or bowstring) arch spans. Twenty concrete girder approach spans contribute to a total structure length of 1,568 feet. The bridge was built by the Mercer-Fraser Company, Eureka.
 
      

Yaquina Bay Bridge

YAQUINA BAY (NEWPORT) BRIDGE
 
The structure is a combination of both steel and concrete arches. The main span of the 3,223-feet structure is a 600-foot steel through arch flanked by two 350-foot steel deck arches. There are five reinforced concrete deck arch secondary spans on the south end of the steel arches and fifteen concrete deck girder approach spans. Decorative elements include ornamental spandrel deck railing brackets, fluted entrance pylons, and a pedestrian plaza with elaborate stairways leading to observation areas.
 
     
 
 

Depot Bay

DEPOT BAY BRIDGE
 
The bridge is 312 feet in length, and the main span is a 150-foot rib deck arch with an open spandrel. This single span reinforced concrete deck arch at the mouth, the rib arches are three-hinged with skewback sections, and the spandrel fascia curtain walls are curved. A stairwell on the bay side and a walkway at the north end of the bridge provide access to Depoe Bay State Park.