Skidmore Fountain, Portland, Oregon
Oregon has an amazing variety of interesting and well-preserved examples of historic architecture - many are the original homes, schools, churches and businesses established by the state's earliest settlers. The Oregon Department of Transportation has developed a number of design methods to avoid effects to significant historic resources when planning transportation projects.
The links are photographs of a few selected examples of historic architecture in Oregon. Further information can be obtained by contacting James Norman, Cultural Resources Unit Manager at (503) 986-3514 or via email at email@example.com.
Asahel Bush House
600 Mission Street S.E., Salem
Marion County, 1878
This house is Salem´s finest example of Italianate Residential architecture. Its curved windows, victorian bays, turned woodwork and shallow pitched roof all characterize the structure as unique. The barn has been turned into an art gallery and classroom space. Asahel Bush, a central figure in Oregon history, had this National Register property built in 1878. Bush founded both the Oregon Statesman newspaper and the Ladd and Bush Bank. For more information, you can visit the website of the Bush House at Bush House Tour.
Off Sauvie Island Road, Sauvie Island
Multnomah County, 1856
The popular and familiar Bybee-Howell House is a highly crafted and rare example of the Classical Revival style from the mid-19th Century. The handsome two-story frame residence was built for James Bybee, who later to become one of Multnomah County's first Commissioners. Bybee sold the house in 1858 to Dr. Benjamin Howell and his wife, Elizabeth. The house remained in the Howell family until 1961. It is now owned and maintained by the Oregon Historical Society. The façade of the structure is formally arranged, with symmetrically placed chimneys, double-hung sash windows with six-over-six lights, and fully pedimented gable ends.
Deepwood Mansion, Dr. Luke A. Port House
12th & Mission Street, Salem
Marion County, 1894
The architect of this National Register property was William C. Knighton, who also known for his design of the Capitol National Bank and the Masonic Temple in Corvallis. Included on the grounds are the Deepwood Mansion, a carriage house, formal gardens, a greenhouse, and other facilities. The Deepwood Mansion is an 1894 Queen Anne with a square bell-capped tower. The stone of the basement and chimney contrast with the wooden surfaces of the octagonal and circular roofs above the entrance and round bay. Irregular pattern details are present in the balconies and porches. Leaded stain glass windows are located in the stairwell, parlor, bathrooms, and porch doors. For more information, you can visit the website of the Deepwood House at Deepwood Tour.
|Jason Lee House|
The Jason Lee House
260 12th Street S.E., Salem
Marion County, 1841
The Jason Lee House, completed in 1841, built in the Federal style, was the second residence built by the Methodist Mission in the Willamette Valley. Originally occupied by several missionary families, it served as a refuge and school for Calapooia Indian children orphaned as a result of diseases introduced by early fur trappers and explorers. The building was re-sited at the Mission Mill Village in the 1960's. It was restored and furnished in the style of the mid-19th Century. Several of Jason Lee's own possessions are found in the house. Jon Hazen has developed an online tour of the Jason Lee House, which you can visit here.
Thomas and Edna Livesley Mansion (Mahonia Hall)
533 Lincoln Street South, Salem
Marion County, 1924
The Thomas and Edna Livesley Mansion, otherwise known as Mahonia Hall, is a large half timber style Tudor home situated upon Fairmount Hill overlooking Salem. Ellis F. Lawrence, the founder of the University of Oregon School of Architecture, designed the home. Thomas "Hop King" Livesley, the largest grower of hops in Oregon and vice president of Oregon Linen Mills, had the mansion built in 1924. Shortly after construction, Livesley became the Mayor of Salem and leader for many political causes. Being active in the Democrat party the Livesleys designed their home for large scale entertainment with a ballroom on the third floor, a pipe organ, a lavish wine cellar, and formal gardens. In 1988 the home was sold to the state to become the Governors mansion. The purchase was financed through private donations, and Governor Neil Goldschmidt and his family became the first official residents. Today Governor Ted Kulongoski and his wife, Mary Oberst, live in the Livesley Mansion (Mahonia Hall).
|Multnomah Falls Lodge|
Multnomah Falls Lodge
Old Columbia River Highway, Bridal Veil vicinity
Multnomah County, 1925
Designed by prominent Portland architect A.E. Doyle, the Multnomah Falls Lodge was constructed in 1925 by the city of Portland. The area around Multnomah Falls, including the Lodge site, was donated to the city of Portland in 1915 by wealthy Oregon businessman Simon Benson, a major promoter and benefactor of the original Columbia River Highway. The lodge was intended to capitalize on the booming tourist trade through the Columbia Gorge and remains a very active recreation area. Designed in the Cascadia style, the lodge was constructed by the Waale-Shattuck Company for a cost of 40,000 dollars. The Multnomah Falls Lodge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
|Oregon State Capitol|
Oregon State Capitol
900 Court Street NE, Salem
Marion County, 1938
The Oregon State Capitol, seen in the photograph above, is Oregon's third capitol. This National Register property was built in 1938 and combines an elaborate mix of marble, concrete, and metal construction materials. The exterior of this modern Greek design is highlighted by four different types of Vermont marble and Depression Era art. A gilded "Golden Pioneer", made possible through the donations of elementary school children, stands atop the flat cylindrical tower. Large marble sculptures of Lewis and Clark and pioneer covered wagons decorate either side of the capitol steps. Maps of the route that Lewis and Clark took and the Oregon Trail are on the opposite sides of the marble relief sculptures. The Capitol houses the Legislature, and the offices of the Governor, the Secretary of State and the State Treasurer.
|Southern Pacific RR Depot|
Southern Pacific Railroad Depot
13th & Oak Street SE, Salem
Marion County, 1918
The present Southern Pacific Railroad Depot was built in 1918. It is the third railroad depot constructed within the city of Salem. The current station is typical of Southern Pacific depots during and immediately following the "Harriman Era". E.H. Harriman was controller and financier of the Southern Pacific railroad for several years. The station is similar to depots in Reno, Nevada, Oakland, California, and Ogden, Utah. There is no identifiable architect for this structure, as it appears to have been a basic stock plan used by Southern Pacific. However, the building style is unusual for the Salem area, and is one of only four remaining depots in the whole Southern Pacific system constructed in this style.
Skidmore (Old Town) Historic District
Bound by Harbor Drive, N.W. Everett, 3rd and S.W. Oak Streets, Portland
Multnomah County, 1872-1906
The Skidmore(Old Town) Historic District encompasses some twenty-one city blocks in the downtown/waterfront area, and contains many of Portland´s most significant historic buildings. The area takes its name from the Skidmore Fountain, built by bequest of the will of one of Portland´s early commissioners, Stephen Skidmore. Included in the district are such landmark structures as the New Market Theater (1872) designed by architects Piper and Burton, the Poppleton Building (1871) designed by E.M. Burton, the Glisan Building (1889), the Haseltine Building (1893), the Skidmore Building (1888), the Blagan Block (1888), and the New Market Annex (1889). The district achieves its significance not only for its many notable early buildings, but also because it marks the site of the first claim filed (via tomahawk slash marks) for the city of Portland by William Overton and Asa Lovejoy in 1843.