Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Utility installation and maintenance

 Encroachment Permits 
   Utility Permits
 Miscellaneous Permits 
   Access Permits 
 Other Permits 
   Over-Dimensional Permits 
   Outdoor Advertising Sign Permits
Permits are required for activities along or for use of a state highway other than for normal transportation purposes. This includes utility companies, developers, businesses, volunteers, nonprofit organizations, governmental entities, and others desiring to place facilities or conduct activities along a state highway. These are often known as encroachment permits. Activities that may require a permit include utility installation and maintenance, driveways, approach roads, litter removal, special events (parades, bike races, filming), banners, and other miscellaneous activities. 
Encroachment permits fall into three primary categories:  UtilityMiscellaneous, and Access.  Although not an encroachment, an over-dimensional permit is needed for operating a motor vehicle that is larger than the allowable legal size or weight on a state highway. A permit is also required for certain outdoor advertising signs visible from the state highway.
There are 15 Maintenance Districts across the state. Each District is responsible for the day to day maintenance and operation of the state highways in their geographic area including issuing Utility, Miscellaneous, and Access permits. To find the local District office, see the map and contact information below.
District Map
District Contact Information

Utility Permits

A utility permit is a permit for the installation, maintenance, and operation of utility facilities such as pipe lines, pole lines, buried cable, and conduits upon state highway right of way and properties under the jurisdiction of the Department of Transportation.
Permit Forms (fillable pdf)
Application and Permit to Occupy or Perform Operations on a State Highway 
General Permit Provisions (for ODOT use only)
Permit Performance Bond 
Permit Blanket Performance Bond
Permit Variance Request
Permit Variance Request Evaluation (for ODOT use only)  

Resource Information
Utility Permit Regulation OAR Chapter 734 Division 55 
ODOT Digital Video Log
State Highway Inventory Summary
Transportation Data Routes/State Highway Cross Reference


Miscellaneous Permits

A miscellaneous permit is a permit to conduct an activity, other than a utility installation or operation of a motor vehicle, on state highway right of way. These activities may include: Adopt-A-Highway, Banners, Special Events (such as parades and filming), Highway Beautification, Tire Chain Installation, etc. Permits are also necessary for other activities along state highways including those detailed below:
Permit Forms (fillable pdf)
Application and Permit to Occupy or Perform Operations on a State Highway 
General Permit Provisions (for ODOT use only)
Permit Performance Bond 
Permit Blanket Performance Bond  
Reference Information
ODOT Digital Video Log
State Highway Inventory Summary
Transportation Data Routes/State Highway Cross Reference





Bicycling has become a popular form of recreation in Oregon, and bicycle races are an outcome of that activity. For the purposes of a permit to use state highway right of way, a "bicycle race" is a timed event (e.g., Road Race, Stage Race, Biathlon/Triathlon). A permit is not needed for recreational bike rides.

To obtain a permit to use a state highway for a bicycle race, complete the form titled, “Application For Bicycle Race Permit,” Form 734-2214




A permit for “highway beautification” allows for the placement of decorations along state highways (except for Interstate highways) to enhance the aesthetic value of the highway. For the purpose of this permit a “decoration” can be seasonal hanging plants or similar item, or flags or pennants made of plastic, cloth or similar materials. A decoration may contain no more than the official name, logo, and slogan of the agency. It may not denote a specific activity or event, portray a political, religious, commercial or promotion message or recognize a person or organization. Other information about placing a decoration along a state highway is available in Oregon Administrative Rule 734-057-0020.
To obtain a permit, the city, county, or Native American Indian Tribe with jurisdiction in the area must submit a written request to the appropriate district office at least 30 days in advance of the desired installation date. The request is to be on their official letterhead and accompanied by the ODOT permit application form, Form 734-2576, and a picture or drawing of the proposed decoration.



A “Vegetation Control Permit” allows an owner of land adjacent to a state highway to manage vegetation and remove noxious weeds on the adjoining state highway right of way by cutting, mowing or hand pulling the vegetation or noxious weeds as described in the approved permits.

To obtain a “Vegetation Control Permit” complete the request form titled, “Request for Vegetation Control Permit” Form 734-2140 along with the liability release form and submit both documents to the appropriate ODOT district office. The district office will add the permit number to the liability release form upon approval of the request.
Request for Vegetation Control Permit
Liability Release for Vegetation Control Permit (individuals)
Liability Release for Vegetation Control Permit (groups) 


The Free Coffee program is a motorist service provided by non-profit organizations in ODOT rest areas where the organization may obtain a permit to give away coffee, other non-alcoholic beverages and cookies. 

Permit requests must be received no more than 60 days prior to the desired date of the "free coffee" service. the successful applicant is selected through a random drawing 30 days before the request date. Permits are issued in 24-hour increments with up to 72 hours (three consecutive days) per permit.

The coffee, other non-alcoholic beverages and cookies must be available to the public free of charge; however donations may be accepted by the permitted organization. Other permit conditions are described on the application form.

To obtain a Free Coffee permit for the following ODOT rest areas, complete the form titled, “Free Coffee Program Permit and Application,” Form 734-2081, and submit it to the appropriate ODOT district office.

​OR 22 ​The Maples, 37 miles east of Salem (District 3)
​OR 31 ​Summer Lake, 63 miles north of Lakeview (District 10)
​US 20

​Brothers Oasis, 41 miles east of Bend (District 10)

Sage Hen, 18 miles west of Burns (District 14)

Buchanan Springs, 24 miles east of Burns (District 14)

​US 26

​Sunset, 31 miles east of Seaside (District 1)

Bandit Springs, 40 miles east of Prineville (District 10)

​US 97

​Cow Canyon, 21 miles south of Maupin (District 10)

Beaver Marsh, 5 miles south of Chemult (District 11)

Midland, 8 miles south of Klamath Falls (District 11)

​US 395 ​Carter, 3 miles south of Long Creek (District 14)


The following ODOT rest areas are managed by Travel Information Council (aka Oregon Travel Experience). For Free Coffee service in any of these rest areas, contact Oregon Travel Experience.

​Interstate 5 ​French Prairie (Baldock), Santiam River, Oak Grove, Gettings Creek, Cabin Creek, Manzanita, and Suncrest Rest Areas
​Interstate 84

​Memaloose, Boardman, Stanfield, Deadman Pass, Charles Reynolds, Baker Valley, Weatherby, and Ontario Rest Areas

​US 101 ​Tillamook River Rest Area



A pedestrian activity is a planned activity that brings together a community or group of people for an expressed purpose, including soliciting contributions, business, or interest from motorists using the highway. To be eligible for a permit the activity can not impede traffic or cause a traffic hazard and must meet the criteria outlined in OAR Chapter 734 Division 58.
To obtain a pedestrian activity permit, complete the form titled, “Application and Permit for Pedestrian Activities on a State Highway, ” Form 734-2708. The application is to be submitted to the appropriate District office at least 30 days but not more than 180 days prior to the date of the desired pedestrian activity. If the activity is to occur on a state highway within city limits, the Applicant must provide confirmation from the city that the pedestrian activity does not violate city ordinances. 
Liability insurance of $1 million is required for this activity. If the Applicant is a public entity, proof of self-insurance will suffice.
Application and Permit for Pedestrian Activities on a State Highway
Permit Application Instructions
Oregon Administrative Rules for Pedestrian Activities 



Access Permits
A permit from the Department of Transportation is needed for an access or approach road to any state highway. The request for a permit is to be submitted on an “Application for State Highway Approach,” Form 734-2680.  
For information on the Access Management Program or how to obtain a permit for a road or driveway approach, please visit the Access Management homepage

Helpful Brochure
A holder of an encroachment permit is responsible to follow federal, state and local regulations including obtaining any permits necessary to comply with those regulations. This brochure, "Before I Use This Truck, I May Need This," may be helpful in identifying those regulations. It gives general information and examples of permit clearance requirements needed for residential, industrial, commercial and public works projects in or near water. Some information is provided for land developments as well.
This brochure was created by state and federal resource agencies to guide individuals to those agencies for verification and coordination regarding the need for any permit or clearances for projects. ODOT is not responsible for the accuracy or completeness of the information provided in the brochure.

Although not an encroachment, permits are also needed for operating a motor vehicle that is larger than the allowable legal size or weight (over-dimensional permit) on a state highway and for certain outdoor advertising signs including billboards visible from the state highway (outdoor advertising sign permit).

Over-Dimensional Permits

Oregon law allows motor vehicles to operate on public roadways provided those vehicles meet specific size (width, height, length) and weight requirements. Vehicles or loads that exceed the allowed size or weight limits may be eligible for a variance permit.  With the exception of house moves these permits are issued by Motor Carrier Division, Over-Dimensional Permits Section. To contact Motor Carrier Division or get more information about over dimensional permits, visit the Motor Carrier Division homepage

A "house move" permit may be issued for the movement of a house or other structure on a state highway. District offices issue these permits on behalf of Motor Carrier Division.  
To obtain a permit, complete the form titled, “Special Transportation Permit for House Moves,” Form 734-2006 available from the local District office. 

Outdoor Advertising Sign Permits (including billboards)
The Department of Transportation regulates signs on private property where the sign is visible to the state highway including temporary signs and signs on bus benches and bus shelters. A sign includes any message, display, etc., designed to attract or inform the public. It does not have to be commercial advertisement. 
Permits issued for the placement of outdoor advertising signs are issued by the Outdoor Advertising Sign Permits Unit. For more information on the Outdoor Advertising Sign Program or to get an application for an Outdoor Advertising Sign permit, visit the Outdoor Advertising Sign Program webpage.