ODOT began construction in April 2015 on a safety improvement project on Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway (BH Highway/OR 10) at Western Avenue/103rd Avenue in Beaverton. Work is expected to be finished in fall 2015.
The intersection of BH Highway and Western Avenue/103rd Avenue has seen a high number of rear-end and turning crashes. Many crashes occur as drivers make the unsafe left turn from 103rd Avenue to BH Highway. From 2007-2011, there were 36 crashes and 1 serious injury at the intersection. 60% of the crashes were rear-end crashes and 40% were turning crashes. One major element of the project is to restrict left turns from 103rd Avenue onto BH Highway.
- Build a raised center median on BH Highway restricting left turns out of 103rd Avenue onto the highway. Road users will still be able to turn left onto 103rd Avenue from BH Highway, and will also still be able to make right turns onto and off of 103rd Avenue
- Narrow the road width of the north end of Western Avenue where it meets BH Highway. This will decrease the walking distance for those using the crosswalk, and will also slow vehicles down turning between Western Avenue and BH Highway
- Upgrade the pedestrian signals at the three corners in the BH Highway/Western intersection to include a timed countdown
- Intermittent daytime and nighttime lane closures will occur on BH Highway, Western Avenue and 103rd Avenue
- Intermittent sidewalk and crosswalk closures with signed pedestrian detours at the intersection of BH Highway and Western Avenue
- There will be some short-term Trimet bus stop closures. Bus stop closures will be communicated on www.trimet.org or at the bus stop
- Nearby residents may hear nighttime construction noise intermittently throughout the project. For noise concerns during evening and overnight construction, call the 24-hour night noise hotline at 503-646-0231
- Road users should expect increased congestion and delays in the project area. Please travel safely
For more information
For noise concerns during evening and overnight construction, call the 24-hour night noise hotline at 503-646-0231
Si desea obtener información sobre este proyecto traducida al español, sírvase llamar al (503) 731-4128