Current status, October 2015 (10/9/15):
Construction is still underway. ODOT contractors completed raising the Strawberry Lane bridge and will continue working under the bridge for seismic retrofitting work. Crews completed building the retaining walls. Back filling, repaving the roadway and fence work is in process. Temporary striping will begin next week and the installation of the guardrail will occur before the road can safely re-open. Note: Striping and paving work is weather dependent and requires dry weather conditions.
The I-205 Shared Use Path will remain closed until the project is complete while crews continue doing bridge work.
Our contractors are working hard to complete their work and we strive to meet construction schedules. However, construction dates are subject to change.
The completion date for this project has changed and we expect our contractors to be done with their work in late October 2015 (please note: schedule is subject to change). We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.
The Strawberry Lane overcrossing structure will remain closed until roadway and bridge restoration work is complete and the road can be re-opened safely. See detour route and construction information below.*
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Why has the I-205 and Strawberry Lane project been delayed?
Strawberry Lane was expected to re-open at the end of August. Unfortunately, the project has taken longer than anticipated. Raising the bridge higher (from 17 feet 4 inches to 18 feet 8 inches) has required more extensive construction work than when it was raised in 2003. Starting the bridge work as well as reconstructing and raising Strawberry Lane have taken more time than planned. The contractor has attempted to mitigate the delay by working longer shifts to return to the original schedule; however, these extra shifts were not enough to allow the project to re-open Strawberry Lane safely by the earlier anticipated date.
Q: When will the Strawberry Lane bridge re-open?
ODOT and the contractor are working hard to finish the remaining work to safely re-open Strawberry Lane. Crews must install drainage and build the retaining walls, as well as finish retaining walls and repave the roadway before the road can be safely re-opened as quickly as possible. Other work will need to be completed after the road is opened to traffic, including: installing fencing on the new retaining walls, permanent striping and seismically retrofitting the bridge.
We anticipate Strawberry Lane to be re-opened in late October 2015 (note: schedule is subject to change). We will continue to provide additional project updates.
Q: Will the contractor be penalized for late completion?
The contract between ODOT and the contractor has clauses for financial penalties for late completion of work that extends beyond August 2015.
Q: What is the benefit to raising the Strawberry Lane bridge?
As a result of raising the Strawberry Lane bridge, oversized trucks that currently use SE 82nd Drive can stay on I-205 and off residential streets. Keeping tall and wide trucks on the highway also will help reduce congestion caused by these trucks.
When the Oregon Department of Transportation’s (ODOT) OR 224 Sunrise Corridor Project is complete, over-height freight loads which currently access 82nd Drive will no longer be able to use 82nd Drive (the designated Oversized Freight Route) to avoid current height restrictions on Interstate 205 at SE Strawberry Lane.
In order to accommodate over-height truck loads on I-205, ODOT will increase the overhead vertical clearance of the SE Strawberry Lane overcrossing structure at I-205 from 17 feet 2 inches to 18 feet 8 inches. In addition, ODOT will seismically retrofit the structure. Construction on this project is scheduled to start in late spring/early summer 2015.
Permanently raise the existing SE Strawberry Lane structure at I-205 eighteen inches to obtain additional vertical clearance on I-205.
Raise approach embankments to match new grade requirements.
Construct retaining walls east of I-205 on the north and south sides of SE Strawberry Lane.*
Repave and stripe SE Strawberry Lane to match the final structure grade.
Construct a seismic retrofit on the existing structure for operational and safety requirements.
Pedestrian and Bicycle Accommodations include:
- Striping a 5 foot wide shoulder with pedestrian and bicycle markings along the north side of the Strawberry Lane structure for pedestrian and bicycle use.
- Adding shared lane markings (“sharrows”) for eastbound bicyclists on the south side of the Strawberry Lane structure.
- Reducing the speed limit from 35 miles per hour to 25 miles per hour on the Strawberry Lane structure.
Project Location Map
Project Schedule **
- Late Spring/early Summer 2015: Construction Begins
- Late Summer/early Fall 2015: Construction Completed
* Please note: schedule is subject to change due to weather and site conditions.
During construction expect the following types of impacts to traffic:
Strawberry Lane between Cason Road and 82nd Drive will be closed to all traffic (including bicyclists and pedestrians) until October 2015 (subject to change) while crews raise the overpass structure and to construct the retaining walls east of I-205.
Occasional flaggers will be present in the work zone at each end of Strawberry Lane during construction.
- TriMet Bus Line 79-Clackamas/Oregon City will be temporarily detoured (see TriMet detour route information by clicking the TriMet link here): http://trimet.org/alerts/line79detour/index.htm
Detour Route during Closure of Strawberry Lane:
- Traffic from east of I-205 will be detoured to travel south on 82nd Drive, north on Oatfield Road and north on Webster Road.
- Traffic from west of I-205 will be detoured to travel south on Webster Road, south on Oatfield Road and north on 82nd Drive.
Traffic Impacts on I-205 during Construction
- The northbound and southbound left and right lanes of I-205 will be closed to traffic at night during the bridge raising and reconstruction of approach grade and embankments.
- The center lane will remain open to traffic.
- Lane closures will only be allowed at night due to high traffic volumes (126,000 vehicles daily) on I-205.
- Two-lane closures on I-205 will be allowed during the following times:
- Weekdays (M-F): 10 p.m. - 5 a.m.
- Weekends: (Fridays): 10 p.m. - 7 a.m.; (Saturdays): 11 p.m. – 8 a.m.; (Sundays): 10 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- One-lane closures on I-205 will be allowed during the following times:
- Weekdays (M-F): 8 p.m. - 5:30 a.m.
- Weekends (Fridays): 8 p.m. - 8 a.m.; (Saturdays): 8 p.m. - 9 a.m.; (Sundays): 8 p.m. - 5:30 a.m.
Impacts to Shared-Use Path (SUP) during Construction
During construction, the SUP located west of I-205 (under the overpass) will be closed from June to September while crews are raising the bridge and during slope paving. Advanced warning signs will be placed on the SUP to indicate closure.
Detour route on SUP during closure:
Noise Impacts during Construction*
- Southbound detour: travel westbound on Strawberry Lane, south on Cason Road and reconnect to SUP.
- Northbound detour: travel northbound on Cason Road, east on Strawberry Lane and reconnect to SUP
Construction activities on I-205 will be necessary during bridge raising. Work is scheduled at night to minimize traffic impacts.
The noise you hear at night will come from heavy equipment, jackhammering, compressors and construction/concrete trucks. You will see construction equipment on I-205 and on Strawberry Lane.
Planned nighttime work activities include:
- Bridge raising
- Setting up traffic control
The contractor will work mostly during the day, but will also work at night. Nighttime work hours may occur:
- Weekdays (M-F): 8 p.m. - 5 a.m.
- Weekends: (Fridays): 8 p.m. - 8 a.m.; (Saturdays): 8 p.m. – 9 a.m.; (Sundays): 8 p.m. – 5:30 a.m.
*NIGHT TIME CONSTRUCTION HOTLINE NUMBER: 503-412-2371
ODOT hosted an open house on April 23, 2015. Following are the materials presented at the open house:
ODOT hosted an open house on May 15, 2014. Following are the materials presented at the open house:
Public Comments and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Public comments and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) can be found by clicking on the link below:
Comments and Contact Information
Please contact us if you have questions or comments:
ODOT Community Affairs