Bridge Deck Replacement on I-84 over Hood River
We are working on a project to replace the bridge deck on eastbound I-84 over Hood River, as well as repairing the westbound direction bridge. The bridge was built in 1953 and has needed several repairs over the years to keep it operating and ensure that travelers can reach their destinations.
The project will make I-84 safer for all travelers and extend the life of the highway, which is an important route for interstate traffic, as well as local and business traffic. Learn more about other projects on I-84.
Why is it needed? What are the details?
The bridge over Hood River on I-84 was built in 1953. As an old bridge, the concrete on the bridge deck is deteriorating and needs to be repaired.
The bridge is actually made up of two separate bridges, one for eastbound and the other for westbound traffic.
During the construction work, efforts will be made to reduce impacts to the Slough Pedestrian and Bike Trail that is located below the bridge.
The project will include the following:
- Eastbound bridge - replace the six-inch deck with a thicker deck and strengthened steel girders.
- Westbound bridge - repair the bridge overlay.
- Construction impacts are not known at this time, but could result in lane closures in both directions during construction. More information will be shared once the details are confirmed.
- Truck freight restrictions, as well as on- and off-ramp closures are expected but not known at this time.
- Other construction impacts will be shared closer to the work.
When will it happen?
Construction is expected to take place from late fall 2018 and could take up to two seasons to complete.* Efforts will be made to reduce construction impacts for travelers during the busy summer months or over holiday weekends.
Designers are working on a schedule that will reduce impacts to travelers while safely and cost effectively completing the project.
* Schedule is subject to change
How can I get more information?
For questions or more information, you can contact us during regular business hours:
- Abbey Driscoll at 541-388-6064 or Abbey.Driscoll@odot.state.or.us
- Brandy Steffen at 503-731-8230 or Brandy.Steffen@odot.state.or.us
¿Hablas español?Podemos proporcionar la información de esta publicación en español. Para recibir información por favor llame al 503-731-4128.
For ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) or Civil Rights Title VI accommodations, translation/interpretation services, or more information call 503-731-4128, TTY 800-735-2900 or Oregon Relay Service 7-1-1.