Updated: November 21, 2014
Weekend closure for Marine Drive under I-84
Marine Drive will be closed under Interstate 84 at exit 17 in Troutdale from 10 p.m. Friday Nov. 21 until 5 a.m. Monday Nov. 24.
The closure, part of the renovation of the exit 17 interchange, is necessary to demolish the old overpass. Please be aware this will be noisy work.
Traffic from eastbound Marine Drive bound for eastbound I-84 will be directed west on I-84 to exit 16 and the on-ramp to the eastbound freeway.
Westbound I-84 traffic heading for the South Frontage Road will need to continue west to exit 16, cross over the freeway and return to the freeway westbound lanes and exit 17.
In addition, daytime shoulder closures are expected on the westbound lanes of North Frontage Road and will be shifted approximately four feet to the south as they approach Marine Drive.
Construction Started on I-84 and Marine Drive Improvements in Troutdale
In March 2014, the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) started work on the next phase of improvements to Interstate 84 in Troutdale. This project will focus on the interchange at exit 17 (NE 257th Avenue and Marine Drive) and the Marine Drive section. The project is expected to be complete in November of 2015.
See below for traffic impacts and detours for the nighttime construction work.
The project will:
• Widen Marine Drive between the two frontage roads to allow for two-way traffic. So vehicles exiting I-84 eastbound can turn directly on to northbound Marine Drive instead of traveling all the way around on the Frontage Roads.
• Replace the existing I-84 overpass bridges at Marine Drive with a new bridge. It will be longer to accommodate the widening of Marine Drive to 5 lanes and sidewalks and also higher to accommodate vehicles up to 17 feet, 4 inches high.
• The two Marine Drive intersections at the Frontage Roads will also be improved. The existing free-flow right turn lane from the North Frontage Road onto Marine Drive will be moved closer to the intersection to increase drivers’ visibility as they first yield and then merge with the new northbound traffic on Marine Drive. Drivers on the North Frontage Road also will be given more space to merge into their desired lane.
• Provide a longer left turn lane on North Frontage Road for vehicles turning south onto Marine Drive.
• Add bike lanes in both directions of Marine Drive under I-84.
• Add a new sidewalk on the west side of Marine Drive under I-84.
Construction work will occur at night and on weekends. Closures and detours will be publicized in advance.
Motorists traveling I-84 during the daytime will experience only minimal traffic impacts and no daytime lane closures.
• Ramp Closures: There will be periodic on and off-ramp closures, eastbound and westbound at Exit 17 at both Marine Drive and SW 257th/Graham Road.
• Marine Drive Closures: There will be occasional weekend full closures of Marine Drive between the North and South Frontage Roads. Motorists will be detoured to NE 238th and SW Halsey Street.
• I-84 Closures: Expect intermittent single lane closures on I-84 both eastbound and westbound.
• Additionally, there will be periodic nighttime full closures of I-84 in each direction but not at the same time. Motorists will be detoured onto the Frontage Roads.
The detours pictured below will be implemented at different times during the project. Please check the website regularly for updated project and detour information.
NE Marine Drive Overpass - Existing & Proposed (Conceptual)
Click images to enlarge
Current overpass Proposed Overpass and lane configuration
Why are these improvements being made?
The I-84 Troutdale interchange (exit 17) is an important freeway connection to many businesses at the eastern end of the Columbia industrial corridor, as well as Troutdale’s residents and visitors. A recently constructed FedEx Ground distribution facility located on industrial land owned by the Port of Portland north of the interchange and the potential for added commercial growth in this area are expected to bring more traffic.
This project, and the two projects that have already been completed, will help improve operations and safety at this interchange, and improve freight access between I-84 and the industrial properties to the north.
Why does the free-flow right turn lane from the north Frontage Road
onto Marine Drive have to be removed?
This project will widen Marine Drive under I-84 to allow vehicles to travel in both directions. This means motorists exiting I-84 eastbound at exit 17 will be able to turn left onto Marine Drive from the end of the exit ramp, instead of looping around on the frontage roads. As a result, motorists turning right from the north Frontage Road onto Marine Drive will have to watch out for, and yield to, oncoming vehicles before they can make their turn, which they don’t currently have to do.
Keeping the free-flow right turn lane would make it more difficult for motorists to merge safely with the new traffic on Marine Drive northbound coming from the I-84 eastbound off-ramp, especially because they’re not used to doing it. To help improve safety and operations, the right turn lane will be moved closer to the signalized intersection and motorists will be required to yield to oncoming traffic on Marine Drive before making their turn.
Project Start: March 2014
Project Completion: November 2015 (expected)