Construction will begin in March 2014 on a project to improve safety and operations in the area of OR 99W northbound and I-5 northbound, spanning the Tigard/Portland city limits. Once complete, traffic in the area should see a reduction in crashes and all road users will have a safer environment. Construction is slated for completion in fall 2014.
Project elements include:
* An additional lane on OR 99W northbound between SW 64th Avenue and SW Coronado Street. Along with improved signage and striping, this will help reduce confusion and create better movement between OR 99W north and I-5 north.
* A wider off-ramp from I-5 north to OR 99W for improved flow between the two highways
* Shoulder widening, new sidewalks and a new bike lane to improve safety for those walking and on bicycles.
* A new pedestrian refuge island in the middle of OR 99W just north of the I-5 off-ramp, near SW 60th Avenue
See the graphic below for more details on the project elements.
View the map above as a PDF
* Road users should expect intermittent lane closures on OR 99W and the I-5 on- and off-ramps from March 2014 to fall 2014
* Most of the construction will take place at night when traffic volumes are lower. Any weekday work impacting traffic on OR 99W or the ramps will be between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
* In general, work will occur Monday through Friday with occasional weekend nights
* There will be a limited number of full nighttime I-5 ramp closures
* Sidewalk closures will occur intermittently. The contractor is required to provide a signed ADA-accessible pedestrian detour during any sidewalk closures
* Intermittent shoulder closures are planned on OR 99W. During shoulder closures, bicyclists will need to use the travel lane
* Road users should expect increased congestion and delays in the project area
Once construction begins mid-March, there will be a link from this website to the weekly construction news which details the traffic impacts on a weekly basis.
There will be nighttime work on this project. ODOT has obtained nighttime noise variances from the City of Portland and the City of Tigard. Residences and businesses adjacent to the project area may experience construction noise. A noise hotline is available 24 hours a day for reporting noise problems or incidents requiring immediate attention. That number is 503-412-2382. ODOT staff will be available to answer immediate noise concerns during nighttime work by calling the noise hotline.
View a list of community requests and their outcome