ODOT, the City of Portland, TriMet, the National College of Natural medicine, Portland State Business Accelerator and the South Portland Neighborhood Association have partnered on a bicycle and pedestrian safety project with a focus on traffic calming. The project extends along U.S. 26 (SW Kelly Avenue) from the west end of the Ross Island Bridge to SW 1st Avenue. The project is expected to improve safety and to reduce the overall severity of crashes in the area.
UPDATE: New project element added
In late 2012, ODOT added a pavement repair element to this project. This element would have been built as a separate project, but combining the two projects will help save money on construction. The new pavement preservation project will remove and replace the concrete on SW Ross Island Way southbound between SW Arthur Street and the Ross Island Bridge on ramp.
SW Kelly Avenue at SW Naito Parkway
- Reduces the exit to SW Naito Parkway from northbound SW Kelly Avenue from two lanes to one.
SW Kelly Avenue at SW Meade Street
- Constructs a cul-de-sac on SW Meade Street at SW Kelly Avenue. Drivers will access SW Meade Street via SW Water Avenue, SW Arthur Street or SW Corbett Avenue instead.
- Installs a Rapid Rectangular Flash Beacon and marked crosswalk on SW Kelly Avenue just south of SW Meade Street.
- Removes the inside southbound travel lane on southbound SW Kelly Avenue and replaces it with a raised concrete median island (from SW Meade Street to just south of SW Corbett Avenue).
SW Kelly Avenue at SW Corbett Avenue
- Restricts access to SW Corbett Avenue from SW Kelly Avenue for drivers traveling from the Ross Island Bridge. Drivers will access SW Corbett Avenue via SW Water Street or SW Arthur Street instead.
SW Kelly Avenue at SW Porter Street/Hood Avenue
- Replaces the existing northbound lane from SW Kelly Avenue to SW Corbett Avenue with a new bus pullout and stop.
- Installs a sidewalk and a new bike path adjacent to the new bus pullout.
- Installs a pedestrian refuge island at the intersection of SW Kelly Avenue and SW Porter Street.
- Installs a pedestrian refuge island at the intersection of SW Kelly Avenue and SW Hood Avenue.
SW Kelly Avenue at SW Hood Avenue
- Installs a sidewalk with an adjacent planter strip that will connect to the new Gibbs Street Pedestrian Bridge.