TV Highway Paving and Utility Project: Minter Bridge Road to 331st Avenue (Hillsboro)
||In June 2013, an ODOT and City of Hillsboro paving and utility project began on TV Highway between Minter Bridge Road and 331st Avenue. Work will continue through 2015 with traffic impacts on TV Highway days and nights.
Latest News (July 21, 2015)
Read the weekly construction news for traffic impact information, updated every Friday.
First Avenue is closed from SW Baseline St to SW Oak St.
The contractor is in the final months of the TV Highway Paving Project from Minter Bridge Road to 331st Avenue. One remaining piece of work is reconstructing and repaving 1st Avenue from Baseline Street to Walnut Street. This will involve a full closure of 1st Avenue during the work, the first two weeks of August. The details are below:
- Beginning Monday, Aug. 3, at 6 a.m. and continuing until Thursday, Aug. 6, at 6 p.m., 1st Avenue will be closed to all vehicles 24 hours/day between Baseline Street and Oak Street. There will be no vehicle access and all driveways in this section of 1st Avenue will be closed. The contractor will be flagging the intersection of 1st Avenue and Oak Street during this closure.
- Beginning Monday, Aug. 10, at 6 a.m. and continuing until Thursday, Aug. 13, at 6 p.m., 1st Avenue will be closed to all vehicles 24 hours/day between Oak Street and Walnut Street. There will be no vehicle access and all driveways in this section of 1st Avenue will be closed
- Businesses in the section of 1st Avenue being closed can be accessed from driveways on Baseline Street, Oak Street or 2nd Avenue
- For the week of August 3, the contractor will be flagging the intersection of Oak Street and 1st Avenue during the closure. Traffic on Baseline Street and Walnut Street will not be impacted during the 1st Avenue closures.
- Sidewalks on 1st Avenue and crosswalks across 1st Avenue will remain open and pedestrian access maintained
- Cars and bikes will be required to use an alternate route
- Trucks will be detoured west on Baseline Street and Walnut Street and around via 17th Avenue
- This work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled due to heavy rain
- From July 20 to July 31, there will be single nighttime lane closures on 1st Avenue from Baseline Street to Walnut Street, to prep for the reconstruction and paving work
The contractor will also do the Final striping on all of Oak Street, Baseline Street and 10th Avenue the week of August 3. Expect nighttime lane closures.
The remaining work listed below will take place now through fall 2015, with intermittent daytime and nighttime lane closures:
- Reconstruction and paving 1st Avenue from Baseline Street to Walnut Street (in early August)
- Final striping on all of Oak Street, Baseline Street and 10th Avenue (tentatively scheduled the week of August 3)
- Replacing dozens of sidewalk ramps and several driveways
- Replacing traffic loop detectors/sensors
- Replacing signs
- Manhole and inlet adjustments
- Clean-up work
We ask for your patience as we work to improve the highway. This is the final stretch of construction on TV Highway for this project. The contractor and ODOT are working hard to minimize disruption as much as possible, but many impacts are unavoidable. There is increased traffic enforcement in the area. Please drive cautiously and follow construction signs
ODOT, in partnership with the City of Hillsboro, began construction in June 2013 on a $14 million paving and utility project on TV Highway (OR 8) from Minter Bridge Road to SW 331st Avenue. This stretch includes 10th Avenue, Baseline Street and Oak Street through downtown Hillsboro. Work includes:
•Grinding, reconstructing, paving and restriping TV Highway from Minter Bridge Road to SW 331st Avenue [complete except permanent striping]
•Significantly upgrading the City’s water and stormwater systems. Portions of the City’s water and storm pipes will be entirely replaced in downtown Hillsboro [water work was completed in 2014; stormwater replacement was completed in 2015]
•Repairing and paving the Dairy Creek Bridge [complete)]
•Improving more than 100 ADA ramps (accessible curb ramps), primarily in downtown Hillsboro
•Reconstructed and repaving 1st Avenue from Baseline Street to Walnut Street
TV Highway in this section is in poor condition and in need of repair and reconstruction. In addition, the City of Hillsboro is including major utility upgrades on TV Highway as part of the project. The City’s water mains buried under Oak Street and Baseline Street are at least 60 years old and predominately steel pipe. The joints between the steel pipes are aging and causing leaks. Approximately two miles of new waterlines will be installed on this project as part of the annual pipeline replacement program. The new mains and meters will ensure quality water service to hundreds of commercial, industrial and residential customers along TV Highway.
By making all the improvements in one cohesive project, ODOT and the City of Hillsboro will save tax dollars and increase efficiency.
|Traffic Impacts and Schedule|Road users on TV Highway will encounter significant construction during the day and night from June 2013 to fall 2015.
There will be delays and detours in place throughout construction, especially in downtown Hillsboro. Read the weekly construction news
for the latest traffic impacts, updated every Friday. The following traffic impacts are planned:
Lane closures may occur on TV Highway during the day or night, 7 days a week
There will be intermittent intersection closures along Oak and Baseline streets
There will be unavoidable temporary business and resident driveway closures, which will be communicated individually to businesses and residents during construction
Access to the main entrance and emergency room of Tuality Hospital will remain open at all times. There may be short detours, but temporary signage will direct motorists to the hospital.
TriMet service on TV Highway will be intermittently affected during lane and intersection closures. Any TriMet detours will be communicated on www.trimet.org
and at the bus stops.
There will be intermittent on-street parking restrictions on Oak Street and Walnut Street throughout construction
During double-lane and intersection closures, large trucks will be detoured from Baseline Street to Walnut Street. On-street parking on Walnut Street may be limited in some sections to allow for wider trucks. To minimize truck noise on Walnut Street, flaggers will be used to move trucks through intersections without stopping.
This will be a disruptive project on TV Highway. Considerable effort is being made to maintain business and resident access and minimize traffic impacts. Thank you in advance for your patience and please travel slowly and carefully through the construction.
Due to high traffic volumes on TV Highway, most of the lane closures and construction activity will occur at night. The contractor will be required to turn off truck backup alarms during nighttime work after 10 p.m. Flaggers will be used to move trucks through sensitive intersections without stopping, which will help reduce noise. A 24-hour noise hotline is available to be called at all hours should a noise concern arise. That number is 503-412-2356. ODOT staff will be available to answer immediate noise concerns during nighttime work by calling the noise hotline.
|Stay Current with the Project|
*Continue visiting this website. The project website will have current information, including detailed traffic impacts in a weekly construction update
posted every Friday.
* Call the noise hotline (24-hour number to be called for noise concerns): 503-412-2356.
* For more information, to be added to the project email list, or to request a meeting, please contact:
Lili Boicourt, ODOT Community Affairs
PH: 503-731-8247; Email: Lili.D.Boicourt@odot.state.or.us