Construction Update: November 25-December 6, 2013
Construction is near completion with the remaining items being weather dependent. Watch for intermittent daytime and nighttime lane closures throughout the project area. There may be work conducted during weekends to take advantage of good weather. Flaggers will provide traffic control as needed.
The project is a combination of an ODOT signal improvement project and a City of Cottage Grove project to enhance and improve the bicycle/pedestrian facilities in the area near OR 99 (9th Street) and East Main Street in Cottage Grove.
The project will improve safety, construct streetscape enhancements, add bike lanes, construct wider sidewalks and improve connectivity for pedestrians and bicyclists.
· Highway 99 north of its intersection with E Main Street will be realigned to make room for the addition of bike lanes and wider sidewalks. The realignment will require a total reconstruction of Hwy 99 from E Main St. to Gibbs Avenue, the intersection, and a short distance of E Main St. The City will use this opportunity to upgrade the aging water and sanitary sewer lines that cross the highway.
· The two south bound lanes will be reduced to one lane to make room for bike lanes, returning to two lanes at Washington Avenue.
· The signal at 4th and Hwy 99 will be modified to add left turn phasing and the approach will be restriped.
· Signal at E Main and Hwy 99 will be replaced with upgraded equipment.
· Water quality treatment boxes will be constructed. These boxes filter water coming from and into the highway drainage system before the water is released into streams and rivers.
· Street trees will be planted.
· Sidewalk ramps meeting the American Disability Act (ADA) specifications will be constructed.
· Central Oregon Pacific Railroad (CORP) has a crossing on E Main St that will be upgraded. The old abandoned (third) rail will be removed, as will the canteliver signs, the crossing arms replaced, the rail adjusted and the pavement replaced. CORP will do the major portion of the work at the RR crossing, with the ODOT contractor doing the sidewalk crossing. CORP will close E Main during this work and will provide their own workers, schedule, and notification.
Rick Little, Public Information Officer, (541)726-2442 or