Key Project Components
- Realign Dover Lane at the intersection of U.S. 26
- Widen shoulders on U.S. 26 near the intersection with Dover Lane
- Install new signs on U.S. 26 and Dover Lane near the intersection
Why this project is needed
U.S. Highway 26 is a critical part of the State’s transportation system. It is an important freight route that supplies goods and services to central Oregon. Keeping highways safe and traffic moving are critical parts of the mission for the Oregon Department of Transportation.
The U.S. 26 and Dover Lane intersection has been a top 10% Safety Priority Index System (SPIS) site since 2007. It was a top 10% in 2007 and a top 5% in 2008 and 2009. In 2009 it was also the highest ranked SPIS site in central Oregon. ODOT has implemented several safety measures at the intersection. Some of the improvements included enlarging stop signs, improving sight distance and widening the gravel shoulder on Dover Lane. The improvements have not made any apparent effect on reducing the crash rates at the intersection.
In 2010 a road safety audit was conducted for the intersection. Key findings from the audit include:
- The skew angle of Dover Lane towards U.S. 26, and blind spots caused by a vehicles’ ‘A’ pillar are key causal factors in the reported crashes.
- Angle crashes represent approximately 90% of all crashes.
- Motorists on U.S. 26 are not likely to notice the intersection with Dover Lane. Likewise, motorists on Dover Lane are not seeing the stop signs when approaching U.S. 26.
How ODOT plans to address the problems
The main component of this safety improvement project will be to reduce the skew angle of Dover Lane to U.S. 26. This will improve the ability of motorist on Dover Lane to see vehicles traveling on U.S. 26.
Shoulders on U.S. 26 will be widened to eight feet near the intersection of Dover Lane. The shoulder widening, durable striping and additional signage will create awareness of the intersection with Dover Lane. Widening, pavement markings and additional signage is also planned on Dover Lane.
In designing the safety improvement, care was taken to limit impacts to neighboring residents and to provide them safe access to Dover Lane.
Key Project Milestones
|Develop Preliminary Plans
|Right of Way Acquisition
Estimated Project Cost