Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Frequently asked questions about flagging
What do I need to do to be a flagger on a state highway?
Flaggers must have been trained and have been issued an Oregon Certified Flagger card.  However, through an interstate reciprocity agreement, you may also flag on Oregon State highways if you possess a valid Certified Flagger card from the state transportation departments of Montana, Washington or Idaho.  The card is valid for three years from the date issued.
What do I need to do to be a flagger on an ODOT highway construction contract?
See the answer to Question 1, above.  Additional contract requirements are described in the Oregon Standard Specifications for Construction, Section 00225.31 - Qualifications 
Where can I find out more information about flagging classes, or register for a class?
ODOT has authorized the Chemeketa Community College (CCC) Center for Business and Industry as the exclusive administrator of flagger curriculum, materials and flagger trainer and flagger certification cards.  CCC provides a four-hour flagger training class. CCC maintains a list of certified private flagging trainers, as well.  For more information, contact Larry Ralphs at 503-399-5181, or visit the Center’s web site.
What do I need to do to be a flagger for an Oregon county or city construction project?
Check with the individual county or city road/streets department to obtain their requirements.
I am a contractor and need to hire a flagger for a job we’re doing for ODOT.  How do I know whether he or she has been appropriately trained and certified as a flagger?
As the hiring contractor, it is your responsibility to check for their competency as a flagger. The flagger must have a valid flagger certification card from Oregon, Washington, Idaho or Montana; and, must meet the additional requirements described in Section 00225 of the current Oregon Standard Specifications for Construction.   
I was awarded a large state highway construction contract and want to sub-contract the flagging.  Where can I find out if the company employs certified flaggers?
ODOT does not maintain a list of companies that employ certified flaggers. However, you may contact the Office of Minority, Women and Emerging Small Businesses (OMWESB) to locate businesses that provide certified flaggers.  Contact OMWESB at 503-986-0075. Nonetheless, flaggers employed by these companies must be certified to work under the ODOT contract.  You must ensure that each flagger has a valid Flagger Certification card and can meet the qualifications as described in the answers above.
My company does short-duration maintenance work on public roads in Oregon?  Are there requirements for our employees who flag traffic?
For operations (e.g. maintenance, permit or utility work) on public roads in Oregon that last three consecutive days or less, the Oregon Temporary Traffic Control Handbook (OTTCH) includes requirements for setting up the work areas, controlling traffic and protecting the workers. The OTTCH is available on the ODOT Web site.  See the answers to questions 3 and 4, above, for additional information.