Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Trucking Online

What's New!

Direct Payment tops $94 million mark
Since the Motor Carrier Transportation Division (MCTD) began offering Direct Payment in March 2009, a total of 2734 Trucking Online users have signed up for it and chosen that method for 64,602 online payments totaling over $94 million as of December 7, 2015. They've saved approximately $1,890,889 that MCTD would otherwise have spent on banking fees if they had used credit cards.

“We've seen steady growth in the use of this payment option,” said Motor Carrier Services Manager Ric Listella. “Our goal is to make Direct Payment the preferred way to pay for online transactions so we can reduce credit card transaction fees and keep taxpayer dollars in the Oregon Highway Fund for use on our roads and bridges.”

Accepting credit card payments can be a costly part of running a business.  MCTD pays a bank "merchant" fee equivalent to about 2.0% of each credit card payment whenever customers use credit cards for transactions by phone, over the counter, or online.  That means it costs $2.00 for every $100 in truck-related transactions charged to a credit card. It costs $20 for every $1,000 charged to a card, $200 for every $10,000 charged, $2,000 for every $100,000 charged, $4,000 for every $200,000 charged, and so on.  The transaction fees for 2011 totaled over $1.7 million.

Direct Payment allows for electronic payments directly from a checking or savings account.  It’s simply the electronic way to write a check, the way many people routinely pay household bills these days.  When a customer completes a transaction and authorizes payment, the customer’s bank transfers the approved amount directly from the customer’s account.

Dramatic savings are within reach for motor carrier taxpayers because Direct Payment is an extremely low cost alternative to credit cards.  Regardless of the transaction amount, MCTD pays just $0.06 for each Direct Payment.  For example, instead of paying $8,800 in fees for a $400,000 credit card payment, MCTD pays 6 cents!

Any carrier with an established MCTD account and a Trucking Online PIN can sign up for Direct Payment by providing their checking or savings account and routing number for an account in any bank registered in the United States.  Banks need 7-10 days to complete their verification process the first time an account is established.  But then Direct Payment is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, just like all Trucking Online services.

Usage of both Direct Payment and Direct Deposit has grown substantially in recent years.  Surveys reveal that two out of three American workers (66%) use Direct Deposit to receive their paychecks. More than half of households use Direct Payment for one or more recurring payments.

In the banking industry, Direct Payment and Direct Deposit are known as Automated Clearing House (ACH) products.  According to the Electronic Payments Association, a not-for-profit association that oversees the ACH Network, a total of 20.2 billion ACH payments were made in 2011.  That activity includes Internet debit payments, e-checks, business-to-business payments, and federal government payments.

For more information about Direct Payment, please email MCTD staff — TruckingOnline@odot.state.or.us — or call 503-378-6699.

Trucking Online activity
From January 30, 2003, through March 26, 2012, trucking companies and members of the public have used a home or office computer to complete 3,701,738 transactions or record inquiries that formerly required a phone call, fax, mail delivery or field office visit.  The Motor Carrier Transportation Division is counting on trucking companies to shift as much business as possible to the Internet so it can improve its service to those who still must complete transactions by phone, mail, or in person.

14,199 companies have signed up for Trucking Online, including 4,249 based in Oregon.  There are about 20,000 companies with trucks registered in Oregon, including 12,000 based in another state or Canada and 8,000 based in Oregon, so well over half of them are doing business online.  Want to join them?  Go to http://www.OregonTruckingOnline.com/ to apply for a PIN and get started.

Heavy Truck Rental Passes available online
One Trucking Online service allows a rental agency to issue the weight-mile tax credentials that motor carriers need when they rent heavy trucks.  The service makes it easy to get credentials and meet the requirement that trucks with a combined weight over 26,000 pounds must pay a weight-mile tax for road use in Oregon.

A rental agency gets started by setting up a Trucking Online account and applying for its own password, called a Rental Identification Number (RIN).  The agency can then conduct business for motor carriers that have used Trucking Online to specifically authorize transactions by the agency. When a carrier selects an agency to issue rental passes on its behalf, the carrier is authorizing the agency to create a billing for the carrier's account for Oregon taxable miles and related fees.

Rental agencies may issue a permanent Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier for each vehicle& or a temporary rental pass. Rental passes are vehicle specific and good for 10 days. An agency issues a pass by entering details about the rental, including the beginning odometer reading. Then within 14 days of the pass expiration date, the agency completes an online settlement process that reports the ending odometer reading and the total Oregon miles traveled. Motor carriers are notified by email whenever a Rental Pass is issued on their behalf.  They're also notified about each rental settlement and they receive a monthly billing statement showing total weight-mile taxes due.

Transponder application now online

It's easier than ever for a trucker to get started in the Green Light weigh station preclearance program. The Green Light transponder application is one of the many transactions or records inquiry functions of Oregon Trucking Online.  Since the online application is part of the Public Access Menu, a company does not need a Trucking Online password to access it. They just enter their U.S. DOT number and Oregon account number, along with carrier and vehicle information.  They then receive an email confirmation that the application has been submitted for approval.

A company qualifies for a Green Light transponder if its truck has permanent Oregon registration credentials, three axles or more, and a minimum declared weight of 34,001 pounds.  The truck must have been stopping at Oregon Green Light weigh stations an average of at least once per month. Also, the company may not have an "Unsatisfactory" safety fitness rating.

Online service includes IFTA capabilities
Oregon-based trucking companies can go online to conduct most business related to the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA), including filing their quarterly IFTA returns.  Users can file their tax returns and verify that returns were received, make payments, view IFTA account status and balance, including information regarding return entries and computations, reprint a copy of their IFTA license, order IFTA decals for new vehicles or order replacement decals for existing vehicles, complete the annual license renewal and check renewal status, and make address changes.

Oregon companies who participate in IFTA are required to file quarterly fuel tax returns detailing their travel in other states and Canada.  Each return separates miles traveled according to the type of fuel used by their trucks.  The companies compute how much fuel tax is owed to other jurisdictions, or how much tax credit other jurisdictions owe them.  The tax computations are based on each motor carrier's miles per gallon for each fuel type, the number of miles traveled in a jurisdiction, and the amount of fuel purchased in that jurisdiction.  Trucking Online lets companies check whether a particular IFTA tax return has been received.  They can see whether the return has been checked for errors, amended to correct for any errors, and accepted as "completed."  If it's been accepted, companies can use this online feature to view all the details on the return -- total miles by fuel type, gallons by fuel type, miles per gallon, etc.

Over-dimension permit-related features added

Motor Carriers can now apply for the following over-dimension permit types electronically via Oregon Trucking Online: 

            • Single trip permits
            • Superloads
            • Leaky Load
            • Grass Seed Straw Overheight
Motor carriers are notified via email of the progress of the permit: 1) when submitted, 2) when assigned to an analyst, 3) when completed.  These permits must be processed by an analyst before being issued.  The permits can be sent to the carrier via FAX, or printed or downloaded as a PDF file.
Motor carriers can order and print annual Triples permits, as well as report annual Triples mileage.
Motor carriers can request copies of the most recent maps and attachments for their over-dimension permits.
Motor carriers can view a list of single-trip and annual over-dimension permits issued in the last two years.  The list can be sorted by power unit, a range of unit numbers, or the type of permit.
Motor carriers can print (or re-print) single-trip or annual over-dimension permits issued in the last 120 days.
We anticipate more annual permits to be available electronically in the future.
Back to Top

Services Available

Apply for PIN - Get the password needed to go Trucking Online. Use the Online PIN Request process to complete an application, then have it signed by a company officer and send it in.

Obtain an Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier - Get the permanent or temporary paper credentials needed for out-of-state-based truckers to operate in Oregon.

Amend a Weight Receipt, Replace, or Cancel a Receipt - Make amendments to a Receipt, including base plate changes, replace a receipt, or cancel one.

Renew a Weight Receipt - Meet the annual credential renewal requirements for out-of-state-based trucks operating in Oregon.

File Weight-Mile Tax Reports and Make Payments - Meet the monthly or quarterly requirement to file a weight-mile tax report for trucks traveling in Oregon and pay the tax by Direct Payment or credit card.

Highway-Use Tax Report Look-Up - Check to see if Oregon has received a weight-mile tax report filing.

Obtain a Heavy Vehicle Trip Permit - Get the $43 ten-day trip permit you need when you have a valid Weight Receipt but have not paid Oregon registration fees (Oregon not listed on the base state apportioned cab card and truck does not have an Oregon commercial plate).

Obtain a Temporary Pass - Pay highway-use taxes for the miles a truck will travel and get the $9 ten-day temporary pass you need to conduct a single round-trip through Oregon, or operate on a short-term lease agreement. Available for established motor carriers only. Need to get established? Complete an Application for Motor Carrier Permit and submit it to the ODOT Motor Carrier Division.

Authorize Rental Agency Action - Authorize rental agencies to issue permanent or temporary weight-mile tax credentials for trucks that a motor carrier rents or leases. Authorize agencies to settle passes for billing motor carriers.

Check Temporary Passes and Trip Permits - View a list of all passes and permits issued in the last 60 days.

Obtain Green Light Transponders - Get weighed in-motion, preclear, and bypass major Oregon weigh stations.

Check Account Status

Make a Payment on Account - Pay by credit card or by Direct Payment -- the smart way to pay. Direct Payments are not accompanied by high transaction fees so truckers' taxpayer dollars stay in the Highway Fund rather than being spent on banking fees.

Renew or Cancel Commercial Plates - Meet the annual registration renewal requirements for Oregon-based Commercial-plated trucks, or cancel a Commercial plate.

Pay Quarterly Commercial Registration Fees - Opt to pay Commercial registration fees for another quarter and print a new Cab Card.

Add a Vehicle to a Commercial Fleet - For Oregon-based carriers with at least one Commercial-plated truck already on file, add a vehicle to the fleet, with an effective date up to 10 days in advance, and receive a plate, receipt, stickers, and Cab Card within two business days. If necessary, print a Temporary Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier, Temporary Vehicle Registration, and copy of the plate issue record. Available if the carrier is not suspended and it's not a Registrant-only file.

Report and Pay Road Use Assessment Fees - Pay any or all outstanding Road Use Assessment Fees for Single-Trip Permits with unreported mileage related to the transportation of non-divisible loads in excess of 98,000 pounds combined weight. Pay on an individual permit basis or on a monthly basis.

International Registration Plan (IRP)
transactions and records inquiries for Oregon companies --

  • Vehicle Additions - Complete IRP application online, print a bill, and mail payment or pay online!**
  • Vehicle Cancels - Cancel IRP vehicles.
  • Vehicle Amendments - Amend information on IRP vehicles.**
  • Replacement Credentials - Order and pay for replacement plates, cabcards, stickers, or Oregon Weight Receipts and Tax Identifiers.**
  • Payments - Pay supplements/applications online**
  • Payment History - Check application/supplement amount and date paid by fleet.
  • Schedule B Information - Check jurisdictions registered, number of miles, type of miles reported, percentages.
  • Fleet Weight Group - Check weights and jurisdictions for fleet.
  • Plate Inquiry - Check the status of Apportioned plates.
  • Renew IRP Accounts, Check Renewal Status - Complete the annual process of renewing an IRP account and check the status of renewal.

    **Whenever new credentials are required, temporary credentials are issued online and permanent credentials will be mailed from Salem Headquarters.


International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)
transactions and records inquiries for Oregon companies --

  • Account Status - View the current status of an IFTA account.
  • Online Payments - View account balance, make payments.
  • Reprint IFTA License - Get a reprint of the IFTA license that needs to be carried in each vehicle that has IFTA decals.
  • Decals - Obtain decals for new vehicles or replacement decals.
  • IFTA Returns - File IFTA quarterly returns.
  • Return Status / Details - Check whether an IFTA Return has been received. If the return has been finalized, view detailed information regarding entries and computations.
  • IFTA Renewal - Renew an IFTA account for the following year and receive the new IFTA license and decal(s) by mail.
  • Renewal Status - Check if the annual IFTA license renewal process is completed.
  • Change IFTA Address


Vehicle Look-Up
- Check the current information of active trucks on your company account.

Insurance Look-Up - Check to see if Oregon has received an insurance filing for your company. This service is very popular with insurance agents who need to confirm that Oregon has received a filing. Anyone can access this public information. You don´t need a PIN. Check a company´s insurance status with Oregon.

Surety Bond Look-Up - Check to see if Oregon has received a surety bond filing.

Scale Crossings and Reports - Get monthly reports of scale crossings for your fleet(s), as well as citations and warnings issued for size and weight violations.

Safety Inspection Reports - View all truck and driver safety inspections from the past 24 months. Ensure that all inspection follow-up requirements have been met.

Over-Dimension Permit Look-Up - View all over-dimension variance permits issued in the past two years. List by permit number or date range.

Over-Dimension Payment on Account - View the current account balance and make payments to an Over-Dimension (OD) account.

Over-Dimension Weight Analysis - Determine allowable or permittable weights while operating in Oregon.

Change Address - Change company mailing address, the location address for receiving packages, the records address (when different from mailing and location address), or company email address.

File a Truck Crash Report - Use an Online Crash Report Form to submit the report of a truck accident. A paper copy of the Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report includes this Motor Carrier Crash Report Form (pages 6 and 7) that must be filed with the Oregon DOT's Crash Analysis and Reporting Unit.

Find a Company - Look up trucking company information, including address, phone, the type of operation that is on file with the Oregon DOT, and the status of the company´s insurance. Also, find a company by entering a truck license plate number, find a company's Oregon file number by entering the U.S. DOT number found on a truck cab's door, or find a company's U.S. DOT number by entering an Oregon file number. Anyone can access this information. You don´t need a PIN.

View Road Restrictions - View a special list of size and weight restrictions on roads and bridges.

Back to Top

Need a PIN?

How to request and use a PIN - Personal Identification Number

A Personal Identification Number (PIN) is a unique password that allows a trucking company to connect with the Motor Carrier Transportation Division (MCTD) via the Internet, access the company´s secure account, and complete business transactions. Here´s how to request and use a PIN:

Step 1 – Go to the Public Access Menu for Trucking Online and click on the button to Apply for a Brand-New PIN for Trucking Online. Complete the online form with basic information about your company and Submit it.

Step 2 – The next screen you see includes a link to view your PIN Request application, which will be complete with the basic company information you provided. Print the form and have it signed by an owner, partner, LLC member/manager or corporate officer. Fax the form to 503-378-6880 or mail it to the Motor Carrier Transportation Division, 3930 Fairview Industrial Drive SE, Salem, OR 97302-1166.

Step 3 – Wait for processing. A Permit Analyst will process the information provided on the PIN Request Form and send your PIN to the email address you provided.

Step 4 – When you get the PIN, log on to the Internet and Log In to Trucking Online. Enter your Login Name, your 6 or 7 digit file number, and your assigned PIN password.

Step 5 – Start transacting business online.

Questions? Contact MCTD at 503-378-6699, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Current Trucking Online Users --
Need a new PIN and need to update the business contact information and email address?

Complete the EMail / Contact Update Form
Back to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

What is Trucking Online?
It´s the best way to conduct trucking-related business with the Oregon Department of Transportation´s Motor Carrier Division. It´s an Internet-based service that allows a trucking company to use a home or office computer to connect with computers in Salem and complete various transactions electronically. It´s a fast, convenient way for a company to obtain credentials, file reports, and look up information about its account, all intended to make it easier to keep on truckin´ in Oregon.

How much does it cost?
There´s no extra charge or transaction fee for completing business online. If there´s normally a cost for credentials or other services, that same cost applies when they´re obtained online. An Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier, for example, costs $8 regardless of whether it´s obtained by mail, phone, over-the-counter at a field office, or by computer using Trucking Online.
How can I pay for things online?
Companies can pay for credentials and other online services by using a Direct Payment service that’s simply the electronic way to write a check. Complete a transaction and authorize payment and the bank transfers the approved amount. Direct Payment is an Automated Clearing House (ACH) process ideal for making large payments. Companies can also pay with Visa or MasterCard and those authorized to charge to their account are able to do that, too.

When can I do business online?
Trucking Online is open for business 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. That´s the beauty of Internet-based E-Government services. But anyone who needs help using Trucking Online can call MCTD staff at 503-378-6699. And they´ll find more staff available to help Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Pacific Time).

What´s a PIN?
PIN stands for Personal Identification Number. It´s a unique six- or seven-character password that allows a trucking company to connect with the Motor Carrier Transportation Division via the Internet, access the company´s secure account, and complete business transactions.

Do I need more than one PIN?
No, your PIN gives you access to Trucking Online and all the different Internet services it offers. When you log on to the Web site, you start a "session" during which you can complete all of your various business transactions without the need to log on again. (Each session is timed, however, so that it ends after a period of inactivity if you don´t log off.)


Why can´t I open the PIN Request Form or other PDF documents?
There are known problems with Microsoft Internet Explorer and Adobe PDF files. The problem has been confirmed with Internet Explorer 5.5 and Internet Explorer 6.0.

Why do I get an error message when I try to log on?
There are several reasons you may be getting an error message (like an Error 401 message, for example) when you try to log on:
  • Did you forget your PIN? Go to the Trucking Online Login page and click on the "Forget your PIN?" link that is under the Log In button. Then type in your file number and we'll send a PIN reminder to the email address on record.
  • Make sure to type both the file number and PIN correctly. PINs must contain six or seven characters and include punctuation marks like commas and exclamation marks. If you create a PIN that includes upper case letters, then your PIN is "case-sensitive."
  • Check the Caps Lock key on your keyboard. Make sure Caps Lock is not ON.
  • Close your Web browser, reopen it, and try again. If you fail to log on five times in a row, Trucking Online locks your account and you´ll need to call the Motor Carrier Transportation Division to get it unlocked.
If all else fails or repeated failures to log in have resulted in you being locked out , call the Motor Carrier Transportation Division at 503-378-6699 to speak with a Permit Analyst. Staff is available to help with Trucking Online questions Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Pacific Time).


How is a PIN request validated?
The form for requesting a Personal Identification Number (PIN) must be signed by a company owner, partner, LLC member/manager, or corporate officer. When the Motor Carrier Transportation Division receives a PIN request, it creates a PIN and sends it to the email address provided by the company. It also sends a letter by regular mail to the company´s business address of record to confirm that it requested the PIN. The company is instructed to contact staff at the Motor Carrier Transportation Division – 503-378-6699, if it did not authorize the PIN request.

How secure is my Personal Identification Number (PIN)?
The secrecy and security of your PIN is in your hands. When the Motor Carrier Division assigns your PIN and sends it to you, safeguard it. Use of that PIN to conduct transactions via the Internet constitutes your company´s electronic signature. The PIN should only be given to those responsible to access your account and obtain credentials. Notify the Motor Carrier Transportation Division immediately if you suspect unauthorized persons have knowledge of your PIN.

How secure is the Trucking Online Web site?
The Trucking Online Web site is very secure. When you enter information for a Trucking Online transaction, that information is encrypted and scrambled before it´s exchanged to and from your computer and the Motor Carrier Transportation Division. How can you tell if a Web page is secure? Look for the LOCKED padlock icon in the lower corner of your Web browser. Also, notice the "s" on the end of the "http" in the Trucking Online Web address ("https")? Technically-speaking, that means each Web page is built using the secure hypertext transfer protocol (https) and Secure Socket Layer (SSL), a widely-accepted standard for Web sites that require a high degree of security. Many e-commerce Web sites use SSL to securely transmit data, including credit card numbers, from a customer´s Web browser to a Web server.

Why did I get a PIN confirmation letter, but no email notifying me of my PIN?
You may have inadvertently deleted the PIN-assignment email. You also may have a spam email filter on your Web browser that wrongly deleted the message from the Motor Carrier Division. Spam email filters can be very restrictive and delete mail, without telling you, if it appears to be junk mail. Users can set some of these filters to screen out mail from all but recognized senders. If you received a PIN confirmation letter, but not a PIN-assignment email, send an email request for another PIN to: TruckingOnline@odot.state.or.us

Back to Top