ODOT has begun work to develop a new Oregon Public Transportation Plan (OPTP). The OPTP is one of several statewide transportation mode and topic plans that refine, apply, and implement the Oregon Transportation Plan (OTP)
1997 Oregon Public Transportation Plan (OPTP)
The new OPTP will provide a statewide vision for the public transportation system, and describe the role of public transit in contributing to the transportation system overall. Initial ODOT objectives for the new OPTP include:
- Provide a long-range vision for public transportation and a policy framework to help shape the public transportation system over the next 20 or more years.
- Discuss methods to improve and enhance public transportation services consistent with state and federal planning goals and guidance and in light of current fiscal realities.
- Address how transit can serve goals such as accessibility, availability, connectivity, economic development and social equity.
- Address the state’s publicly funded transportation system including rural and urban transit, special needs transportation, intercity bus services, connections between public transportation system elements, and the transportation system overall.
- Describe the existing public transportation system and present a strategic approach to improving public transportation in the future.
OPTP development, guided by stakeholders, is expected to take about two years from when a diverse Policy Advisory Committee (PAC)
began its work in April 2016. See the OPTP Development General Timeline
(PDF) for details. In addition to the PAC, a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC)
will participate in the OPTP development to advise ODOT on specific topics.
ODOT’s work began with research on existing conditions and possible plan topics. ODOT conducted interviews with a sample of stakeholders from around the state regarding what may need to be considered in the plan. These stakeholders' initial advice is captured in the OPTP Summary of Stakeholder Interviews
ODOT’s research on current conditions and opportunities for public transportation included a survey of public transportation providers and a workshop at the 2015 Oregon Public Transportation Conference, See the summary of themes and ideas from the survey and workshop for what was learned. Survey results can be seen in the OPTP Workshop and Provider Survey Summary
You are invited to participate in the development of the new OPTP. The easiest way to follow the PAC and plan development activities, including public events, is to sign up for email updates
. Public involvement is critical to ensuring a successful plan that works for our whole state. OPTP public events, meetings, and PAC materials will all be posted to this site.
You are welcome to comment on the OPTP throughout its development. Please send comments to OPTP@odot.state.or.us
. If you have questions about the plan or the OPTP development process, you can use the contacts listed on the right.
Public Involvement Summary