Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Oregon Veteran Educational Aid Program

Funding suspended for the 2015-17 Biennium (through June 30, 2017)
ODVA apologizes for any inconvenience.
Going Back to School Has Never Been Easier
The Oregon Veteran Educational Aid Program provides educational benefits to veterans pursuing approved training or coursework equal to the months of active duty service up to 36 months.
Benefits are paid while pursuing classroom instruction, home study courses, vocational training, licensing and certificates from accredited Oregon educational institutions.   
Payment and Qualification
- Full-time students are entitled to receive up to $150 per month.
- Part-time students are entitled to receive up to $100 per month.
- You may not receive Oregon Veteran Educational Aid payments if you are 
   receiving educational aid under any federal act based on service in the Armed
*School criteria determines full-time and part-time status.

Eligibility Requirements
1. Active Duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for not less than 90 days; and
2. Released from military service under honorable conditions; and
3. Is a resident of Oregon when applying for State Educational Aid; and
4. Is a citizen of the United States; and
5. Served during the Korean War (June 25, 1950 to Jan. 31, 1955) or after
June 30, 1958.

Establishing Eligibility 
To apply for educational aid you must first complete an Eligibility Form (Form 1004-ME) and submit it to ODVA along with a certified copy of your DD 214 or Report of Separation from the Armed Forces.  Either of these documents must show the length and character of service. Please note that the Form 1004-ME and the DD214 needs to be submitted only one time. 
Download Eligibility Form (1004-ME)
Application Process
Once you have received your eligibility approval from the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs, you can then apply for educational aid.  To do this, complete and submit the Oregon Veterans' Educational Aid Application (Form 1005-ME).  This form must be completed and submitted to ODVA at the beginning of each new term or enrollment period to start and continue to receive benefits.

*Due to limited funding for this program you may be put on a waiting list. You will be notified of your status after eligibility is established.

*Students are no longer required to submit Form 1005-ME to schools.
Download Application for Oregon Veterans Educational Aid Form (1005-ME)

Please submit all forms and documentation to:
            Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs
            Educational Aid Program
            700 Summer St NE
            Salem, OR 97301-1285
If you have any questions please call toll free at 800-828-8801 or 503-373-2085.

The training or education institution will be contacted monthly by our department. The institution's certifying official must certify you are in good standing and making satisfactory progress. When certified, our department will generate the monthly benefit.

How to Certify Your DD 214
A certified copy must have an original seal or stamp as well as the signature of the party certifying the document.
You can get a certified copy of your DD 214 by taking your original into one of the following to have an official copy made:

  • Local County Veteran Service Officer
  • Registrar's Office at most colleges
  • Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs
To order a replacement DD 214 contact the National Personnel Records Center

Veteran Education Programs & Assistance

Federal Education Programs
Federal Vocational Rehabilitation and Education (Disability Retraining Benefit)
Voyager Aid Program for Oregon National Guard and Reserve
Dept. of Community College & Workforce Development

Other Educational Resources

Get College Funds
Military Records Request

Approved Education Programs

Oregon Community College Directory
State Approved Schools