Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

State Veteran Benefits and Programs
In addition to the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs, the State of Oregon offers a wide range of benefits specifically for veterans and their families.  To take advantage of these state programs, contact the state agency that is offering them.

High School Diploma - Offered by the Dept. of Education
Under ORS 332.114 (Oregon Senate Bill 374 passed in May of 2003), a veteran may request either the school district where they live now or the school district where they would have graduated from to issue a high school diploma.  Diplomas can also be issued to a representative of a deceased veteran. 
A veteran is eligible to receive a high school diploma if they meet the following criteria:
  • Attended a high school before serving in the Armed Forces
  • Served in the Armed Forces of the United States at any time during:
    • World War I; World War II; the Korean War; the Vietnam War; or
  • Served in the Armed Forces of the United States and was physically present in:
    • Operation Urgent Fury (Grenada); Operation Just Cause (Panama);
    • Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm (the Persian Gulf War);
    • Operation Restore Hope (Somalia); Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan); Operation Iraqi Freedom (Iraq); or
    • Served in the Armed Forces of the United States in an area designated as a combat zone by the President of the United States.
  • Discharged or released under honorable conditions
Districts will request a copy your DD Form 214. Contact the Oregon Department of Education for more information.
Veterans' Dependent Tuition Waiver - Offered by Oregon University System and
State Community Colleges

This benefit is offered by the State of Oregon University System (OUS) and local community colleges and provides a full tuition waiver (not fees) for a bachelor's or master's degree at an OUS institution for a child or spouse of a member of the United States Armed Forces who either died in active duty, became 100% disabled in connection with military service, or died as a result of a disability sustained in active duty.  Visit the Oregon University System website for more information.  
Voyager Aid Program for Oregon National Guard and Reserve 

This program is a tuition benefit that is available to honor and support Oregon residents who served the nation as members of the National Guard or Reserves in an active duty capacity in a combat zone since September 11, 2001. Voyager is a "last dollar award". Qualifying students will be awarded a fee remission for no more than the difference between campus tuition and mandatory fees and expected military tuition benefits. The student is responsible for obtaining federal military tuition benefits. If a student is not eligible for federal tuition benefits, they must demonstrate proof of ineligibility. The combination of military tuition benefits and Voyager tuition benefits will ensure that eligible recipients do not pay tuition. The Voyager Tuition Assistance Program does not cover E-Campus or Distance courses. Contact your university financial assistance department for more information.

Unemployment Compensation

Veterans who do not begin civilian employment immediately after leaving military service may receive weekly unemployment compensation for a limited time. The purpose of Training Unemployment Insurance (TUI) is to allow eligible dislocated workers to attend school and receive unemployment insurance benefits at the same time so that they can continue to care for their families and obtain employment. The amount and duration of payments are determined by the the Oregon Employment Department.  
Disabled Veterans' and Veteran Employment Representatives

Veterans can find employment information, education and training opportunities, job counseling, job search workshops, and resume preparation assistance at state Workforce Career or One-Stop Centers. These offices also have specialists to help disabled veterans find employment. Disabled Veterans´ Outreach Program Specialists (DVOP) and Local Veterans Employment Representatives (LVER) assist Veterans' in applying for Federal, State, Local Government and private sector employment. Find your Vet Rep 
Veterans' Preference Points

Qualifying veterans and disabled veterans may obtain preference by submitting as verification of eligibility a copy of your DD214/215 or a letter from the U.S. Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs (VA) indicating receipt of a non-service connected pension with application.
Disabled Veterans must also submit a copy of their Veteran’s disability preference letter from the VA, unless the information is included in the DD Form 214/215. In addition, disabled veterans must supply a public employment preference letter from the U.S. Dept. of Veterans' Affairs. To order the letter, call 800-827-1000 and request a public employment preference letter. 

Permanent Vehicle Registration Fee for Disabled Veterans
One-time registration fee for motor vehicle registration for service-connected disabled veterans in receipt of compensation. Disabled veterans must provide proof that the qualifying disability is connected with service in the U.S. Armed Forces.  This proof must be in the form of a letter from the US Department of Veterans’ Affairs or any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. To request a letter, call VA at 800-827-1000. The letter must certify:
  1. You are a service member discharged or released under honorable conditions;
  2. The service was for not less than 90 consecutive days (or the discharge or release was based on a service connected injury or illness prior to completion of the minimum period of service), and;
  3. The disability is service related.
Submit the letter with the Application for Disabled Veteran License Plates to the DMV. 
Military Veteran Recognition License Plate Program 

The State of Oregon offers veterans a distinct license plate to display their service in the Armed Forces through the Military Veteran Recognition License Plate Program. For $10 every two years, an eligible veteran may register a Veteran Recognition Plate with military insignia or blank Veteran Recognition Plate. A variety of license plates relating to military service are available and a portion of the fees from the "VETERAN" plate helps support the Oregon Veterans' Home.
The veteran must provide proof of military service and/or proof of award of a military related medal. To obtain a “VETERAN” license plate take your DD214 to your local DMV Office. License plates may have oneof the seals from all five services branches. For more information about the medals that may be placed on the plate click here.
Veteran Designation on Oregon Driver Licenses 

The Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) now offers a "VETERAN" designation that can be voluntarily placed on driver licenses.  
In order to receive the designation on a driver's license, veterans must show proof of military service by providing a copy of their DD214 to the DMV. Learn more about the new Veteran Designation, visit DMV.


State Parks Use Permit

Free year-round camping is available to service-connected disabled veterans and U.S. Armed Forces active-duty personnel on leave. The benefit includes camping and day-use privileges at RV and tent sites in Oregon State Parks.  Application for Oregon State Parks Permit 

Hunting and Fishing Licenses (Permanent Combination License)

A free hunting and angling license for disabled war veterans rated at 25% or more with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is offered through the Department of Fish and Wildlife.  Veteran must be an Oregon resident for at least six months.  

Application requires proof of disability rating in the form of a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The letter must state the veterans service-connected disability percentage. Call 1-800-827-1000 to order your letter.  Application for Hunting and Fishing Licenses
Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permit

Available to disabled veterans rated at 65% or more with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The disabilities permit is not a license or tag. Veterans must also obtain a Permanent Combination License. The application requires proof in the form of a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The letter must state the veterans service-connected disability percentage.

Call 800-827-1000 to order your letter. The letter should be submitted with the application. 
Download the Application from the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Property Tax Exemption for Disabled War Veterans
If you are a disabled war veteran or the surviving spouse of a war veteran, you may be entitled to exempt up to $18,540 of your property's assessed value from property taxes. Visit Oregon's Department of Revenue website for more information.

Veterans can get free recording and certified copies of public records for veteran-related purposes, including birth, marriage, death, and divorce decrees. Contact your local County Recorders Office.