Standard and specialty body piercers and tattoo artists must complete 10 clock
hours of continuing education every year, either as one unit or combination of units.
Electrologists are required to complete eight hours of continuing education annually, either as one unit or combination of units.
Satisfactory continuing education courses must fit into the approved course of study outlined for each field of practice and must be obtained as follows:
- Five hours (four for electrologists) must involve participation or attendance at an instructional program presented, recognized, or under the auspices of any permanently organized institution, agency, or completion and certification by an approved national home study organization; and
- Five hours (four for electrologists) may be self-study which may include the following:
- Correspondence courses including online courses
- Review of publications, textbooks, printed material, or audio cassette(s)
- Viewing of films, videos, or slides
Below are examples of some types of courses that would qualify for CE under certain approved course of study categories for each of the licensed professions:
Body Piercing - OAR 331-900-0005(3)(f) - Ethics and legalities, (h) – Client consultation, and (j) Discretionary related to body piercing.
Electrology - OAR 331-910-0005(13) - Professional ethics and business practices.
Tattooing - OAR 331-915-0005(4)(h) - Client services, and (i) Business operations.
Self help courses to develop better licensee/client relations such as; Strengthening Your People Skills in the Workplace, How to Be an Outstanding Communicator, How to Handle Conflict and Confrontation, How to Handle Personality Clashes in the Workplace; Developing Your Emotional Intelligence to Deal Effectively with Clients, Ethical Conduct and Clients, Ethical Conduct at the Workplace.
Business development courses such as; Accounting Courses; Marketing; Bookkeeping; Computer Labs/Workshops; How to Build Strategic Thinking Skills; Effective Goal-Setting & Planning Skills; Building a Positive, Motivated, and Cooperative Team; Managing Multiple Priorities and Projects; Thinking Outside the Lines in Business; E-Mail and Business Writing Workshops; Business Communications, Business Ethics Across Cultures.