Courses offered by organizations specifically identified in OAR 331-720-0015(3)(a) and (b) are approved by rule and are awarded CE credit as determined by those organizations.
Courses provided by professional or medical organizations or associations, other than those specifically identified in OAR 331-720-0015(3)(a) and (b), which conduct educational meetings, workshops, symposiums, and seminars, must be pre-approved by the agency prior to the date and time of the training.
In order to receive pre-approval of a course, the provider or licensee must submit a request for pre-approval to the agency on a form provided by the agency. The subject matter of the CE course must be specifically related to the practice of polysomnography as outlined in ORS 688.800(2), and the request for pre-approval must include the following documentation:
- Name of continuing education sponsor/provider;
- Course agenda – including the date of the training and breakdown of hours for each agenda item, lunch and breaks;
- Course outline – including a detailed summary of each topic discussed and the learning objective or training goal of each agenda item; The content of the course must have a direct relationship between the course training and subject matter related to Polysomnography as set forth in OAR 331-720-0015;
- Background resume of speakers or instructors; and
- Documentation of attendance or successful course completion. Examples include: a certificate, transcript, sponsor statement or affidavit attesting to attendance, diploma.
Continuing education hours mean actual academic, classroom, or course work time. Continuing education hours do not include travel time to or from the training site, registration or check-in periods, breaks or lunch periods.
Certain CE credits not eligible
As of January 1, 2014, licensees will not be granted continuing education credit for BLS, ACLS, NRP, and PALS courses toward renewal of a license.
However, anyone holding an active license that was issued prior to the 1/1/2014 effective date of the new rules will be allowed to use the CE credits that were obtained prior to the change for their next renewal cycle, up to 12/31/2014.