​  DR-4169-OR Public Assistance program
The Public Assistance program provides supplemental federal financial grant assistance for the response and recovery costs incurred by local, state, tribal governments and certain Private Non-profit (PNP) organizations as a direct result of the presidentially declared event. The Federal share of assistance is not less than 75% of the eligible cost for emergency measures and permanent restoration. The remaining 25% is the responsibility of the applicant.
Although the Public Assistance program is funded by Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the state has the responsibility of managing the program. The state is the grant administrator for all funds provided under the Public Assistance program. As grantee, the state is responsible for administering the programmatic and grants management requirements of the Public Assistance program. Grant management includes applying for federal assistance, monitoring and closing out the grant. The state and FEMA work in partnership to provide prompt and consistent service to all applicants.
 For more information on FEMA’s Public Assistance program:
NEW! On January 29, 2013, President Obama signed into law the Sandy Recovery Improvement Act of 2013 (P.L. 113-2).  This law amends Title IV of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 5121 et seq.)  (Stafford Act).  Specifically, the law adds section 428, which authorizes alternative procedures for the Public Assistance (PA) Program under sections 403(a)(3)(A), 406, 407 and 502(a)(5) of the Stafford Act. It also authorizes the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to implement the alternative procedures through a pilot program.  The program will remain in place until FEMA promulgates and adopts revised regulations that reflect the program changes the law authorizes.
For information on the Sandy Recovery Improvement Act of 2013: