|1st Battalion, 162 Infantry to deactivate due to Army Transformation
Salem, Ore. – The formal deactivation ceremony for the 1st Battalion, 162 Infantry, Oregon Army National Guard will be held on Saturday, 7 January 2006 at 2 p.m. at the Salem Armory Auditorium, 2310 17th St. NE located on the corner of 17th St. NE and Sunnyview adjacent to the Oregon State Fairgrounds. The ceremony will include a formal casing of the colors. This ceremony marks the passing of one of Oregon's. finest infantry battalions.
Media is encourage to attend this historic event as their lineage goes back to 1887. Please contact Capt Michael Braibish 503-584-3886 or 503-932-5805 cell for more information. Battalion staff and soldiers will be available to comment
This is part of the Army transformation plan put forward by LTG Blum. This battalion will be transforming as outlined below:
A Company, 1-162 in Hillsboro will become D Company 2-162 Infantry.
B Company 1-162 located in McMinnville will consolidate into B Company 2-218th Field Artillery.
C Company located in Gresham becomes C Company 2nd Battalion, 162 Infantry.
D Company , 1-162 located in St. Helens becomes Detachment 1, B 1-186th Infantry.
E Company 1-162 located in Salem is totally inactivated and these soldiers will move into various united located throughout North Valley and the Salem area.
Below is a history of the proud heritage and service of this battalion.
The 1 Battalion 162 Infantry is a proud organization tracing it's lineage to 20 May 1887 as it formed from existing companies of the Infantry Brigade (1st, 2d, and 3d Infantry Regiments), Oregon National Guard. Through multiple Company reorganizations the Infantry Brigade mustered into Federal service during 7-15 May 1898 at Portland as the 2d Regiment, Oregon Volunteer Infantry. The unit served proudly during the Spanish American War and was mustered out 7 August 1899 in San Francisco, California. Portland elements of the Infantry Brigade were reorganized 3 May 1900 as the 3d Regiment of Infantry. Again they were activated in 1916, in those days-called Mustered, into Federal service in Portland, Oregon for Mexican Border service. The unit was mustered out 25 September 1916 at Camp Clackamas, Oregon
Called into Federal service on 25 March 1917; the regiment was drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917 at Camp Withycombe, Oregon. Then on 2 October 1917 they were formed with 2d Battalion, 3d Infantry, District of Columbia National Guard and were reorganized and redesigned as 162d Infantry, an element of the 41st Division
Following World War I the unit was demobilized on 1 March 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey. Oregon elements were reorganized on 30 June 1919 as the 3d Infantry, Oregon National Guard (Headquarters, 3d Infantry Federally recognized 17 September 1919 at Portland)
The unit was redesigned 5 May 1920 as the 5th Infantry. The unit was again redesigned 7 October 1921 as 162d Infantry and assigned to the 41st Division ( later the 41st Infantry Division). Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at Portland for service in preparation for World War II. The unit served in the South Pacific during the War and was inactivated on 31 December 1945 at Kure, Japan five years later.
Following the war the unit was again reorganized and federally recognized 6 December 1946 with its Headquarters in Portland, Oregon. On 1 April 1959 the unit was reorganized as the 162d Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st and 2d Battle Groups, element of the 41st Infantry Division. On 1 March 1963 the unit was again reorganized consisting of the 1st and 2d Battalion, 41st Infantry Brigade, 41st Infantry Division
The unit was reorganized again on 1 March 1968 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 41st Infantry Brigade. When the Division was inactivated, the Battalion was also reorganized and became the 1st Battalion, 162d Infantry.
Capt Mike Braibish