Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image
Press Release
August 31, 2006
Baker City Armory Dedicated - photos
 
The Oregon National Guard dedicated the Baker City Armory to the World War 2 veteran soldiers of Company F, 186th Infantry, 41st Infantry Division in a ceremony in Baker City Aug. 31.
 
Some members of Company F were on hand for the ceremony today. The soldiers of Company F, based out of Baker City, mobilized for duty Sept. 16, 1940 and were part of the first deployment of U.S. service members overseas during World War 2. The unit inactivated in Japan in late summer of 1945.
 
The Baker City Armory is a state of the art facility that now serves as home to Company F (-) Forward Support Company, 145th Brigade Support Battalion.
 
Major Gen. Raymond F. Rees, Adjutant General of the Oregon National Guard presided over the ceremony. Brigadier Gen. Dan O'Hollaren, commander of the Oregon Air National Guard, and Brig. Gen. Alan C. Gayhart, Deputy Commanding General - Army of the Idaho Army National Guard, and Brigadier General Mike Caldwell, commander of the Oregon State Defense Forces also attended.
 
 
 
Photos:
 
060831-F-1639C-094.JPG
The Baker City Armory, located on Campbell Street in downtown Baker City, Ore., was officially dedicated on August 31, 2006. The event was attended by Maj. Gen. Raymond F. Rees, Adjutant General, Oregon National Guard, and several original members of the F Co., 186th Infantry, 41st Division, some of whom saw action in WWII. The 40,000 square foot facility, completed in October 2005, will be utilized by community groups as well as the Oregon Army National Guard. Photo by Tech. Sgt. Nick Choy, Oregon National Guard Public Affairs Office.
 
 
060831-F-1639C-040.JPG
Maj. Gen. Raymond F. Rees, Adjutant General, Oregon National Guard, (center), joins civic and military dignitaries as well as several original members of F Co., 186th Infantry, 41st Division for a ribbon cutting ceremony at the Baker City Armory dedication on August 31, 2006. Several members of the unit saw duty in WWII, and were on hand to participate in the ribbon cutting ceremony earlier. The 40,000 square foot facility, completed in October 2005, will be utilized by community groups as well as the Oregon Army National Guard. Photo by Tech. Sgt. Nick Choy, Oregon National Guard Public Affairs Office.
 
 
060831-F-1639C-089.JPG
Wadean Holcomb pauses after the Baker City Armory dedication ceremony near a memorial plaque dedicated to her son, Medal of Honor recipient, Sgt. John Noble Holcomb, an Oregonian who died in Vietnam. The entry hall of the building is named in Sgt. Holcomb's honor. Mrs. Holcomb was joined by several of the original members of F Co., 186th Infantry, 41st Division for the ribbon cutting ceremony on August 31, 2006. "I think John would have been very proud," Mrs. Holcomb said of her son's display in the main hall. The 40,000 square foot facility, completed in October 2005, will be utilized by community groups as well as the Oregon Army National Guard. Photo by Tech. Sgt. Nick Choy, Oregon National Guard Public Affairs Office.
 
 
060831-F-1639C-026.JPG
Maj. Gen. Raymond F. Rees, Adjutant General, Oregon National Guard, pins the 100-year streamer for the F Co., 186th Infantry, 41st Division on the unit's guidion, at the Baker City Armory dedication ceremony, August 31, 2006. Several original members of the unit, who saw duty in WWII participated in the ribbon cutting ceremony held a few minutes later. The 40,000 square foot facility, completed in October 2005, will be utilized by community groups as well as the Oregon Army National Guard. Photo by Tech. Sgt. Nick Choy, Oregon National Guard Public Affairs Office.
 
 
 
Contact:
 
Oregon National Guard Public Affairs Office
503-584-3917
 
Kay Fristad
503-584-3917
cell 503-931-5179
 
Capt Mike Braibish
503-584-3886
cell 503-932-5805