Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image
Press Release
May 22, 2008
National Guard to break ground Friday for new Readiness Center in Ontario
 
The Oregon National Guard will break ground for a new readiness center to house C Company, 3rd Battalion, 116th Cavalry Brigade in Ontario May 23 at 2 p.m. MST. The new center will replace an armory dedicated in 1950, giving Ontario a new structure that supports both the ORNG and community activities.

The groundbreaking ceremony is open to the public and media are welcome to attend. Event organizers have also extended an invitation to any past members of units assigned to the armory to attend the ceremony. Those who wish to attend should arrive at the current facility at 1330 SW 4th Street

In 2006 the Oregon Military Department, working with Treasure Valley Community College, was able to purchase 7 acres of land for the construction site.

Once the readiness center is completed, a cooperative agreement with TVCC for rental of two classrooms and the assembly area will go into effect.

The new facility will be 36,600 and cost approximately $11.6 million. The building will comprise:

- 5,400 square feet for a drill hall for National Guard, TVCC, and community activities including drill, assembly, dance hall, community hall, gymnasium, and exhibition area,

- 21,000 square feet for offices, classroom, kitchen restrooms, locker space, and public restroom space,

- 7,200 square feet of general storage and miscellaneous areas,

- 3,000 square feet of motor vehicle maintenance area and two Abrams full-crew interactive simulator trainer (AFIST) training bays.

The AFIST system allows tank crews to conduct gunnery training using the actual controls and input devices of the tank without having to travel to a range to conduct live fire exercises.

In addition, the armory will meet State Energy Efficiency Design requirements. The heat system is geo-thermal based using a production and injection water supply. It will also generate 20 kilowatts of power using solar panels.

In 1947, Malheur County donated land near the fairgrounds for an armory, and in April 1948 a temporary Quonset hut was erected to house Ontario's new National Guard unit. In 1949 construction began on a motor vehicle storage building (MVSB) type armory. In March 1950 the state dedicated the new armory. It was the first MVSB type armory in the state and is an important example of the type of armories created during the post World War II expansion of National Guard facilities.

The Ontario Armory has retained its integrity of location, setting, design, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association. It is considered eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
 
 
Contact Info:
 
Maj Mike Braibish
503-932-5805