Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image
Press Release
June 17, 2009
Oregon National Guard Armories will stay open
 
The budget for the Oregon Military Department is scheduled to pass with no armory closures.

"We've been able to work with the Oregon State Legislature to prevent the closures from happening, but all of this is predicated on revenue estimates that some consider rosy," said Brig. Gen. Mike Caldwell, Deputy Director, Oregon Military Department.

The current budget for the Oregon Military Department is 14 percent below the base budget passed two years ago, and depends on the passage of a bill that would increase tax revenue, raising corporate taxes and additional taxes on those making $150,000 a year.

Currently, the bill is in the Oregon State Senate.

Earlier in the year, the Oregon State Legislature asked the department to come up with a 30-percent reduction proposal.

Under that proposal, the Oregon National Guard could have closed as many as 20 armories and shut down the Oregon Youth Challenge program.

The cuts would have also severed funding for the Oregon National Guard Reintegration program along with staff positions throughout the agency.

"Much of the decision making came from legislators hearing the voices of support for keeping the armories open for the troops and their families," said Caldwell.

Once the legislation passes the Oregon Youth Challenge program will remain in place and funding for the Oregon National Guard Reintegration Program will also be secure.

The final legislative vote on the Oregon Military Department budget should come by the end of the month.
 
Contact Info:
 
Stephen Bomar
Capt., Public Affairs
Oregon Military Department
503-584-3885