Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image
Press Release
August 04, 2010
Oregon National Guard to dedicate new armory in Ontario
 
The Oregon National Guard will hold a dedication ceremony for the Captain John W. Brown Armory in Ontario, Ore., at 10:00 a.m. (Mountain Daylight Time), Wednesday, Aug. 11.

The public and the media are invited to attend the event. The new building is located at 1330 SW 4th Street in Ontario, and replaces a 1950s-era armory at 720 NW 8th Ave.

The readiness center is named for Capt. John W. Brown, who served in WWII, and was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and Purple Heart. Brown served as the company commander of Company H, 2nd Battalion, 186th Infantry Regiment.

The 36,000 square foot facility will house Company C, 3-116 Cavalry Battalion. The design includes two Abrams Full-Crew Interactive Simulator Trainer (AFIST) bays which allow crews to conduct tank gunnery training using actual controls and input devices of an Abrams tank.

The building has a five-lane, 75-meter indoor firing range which can be used by both the National Guard and other community law enforcement personnel. Treasure Valley Community College has partnered with the Oregon Military Department for the use of two classrooms and an assembly hall.

The facility features "green technology", incorporating a highly-efficient hydrothermal-based heating system, and one of the largest solar power arrays on the Idaho Power Company's electrical grid. It is capable of producing more than 100 Kilowatts of energy per hour. The green design meets the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) and is currently being considered for a Silver Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
 
Photo:
Photo_front_Ontario.jpg

For more information, contact the Oregon Military Department's Major Construction Branch Chief, James P. Willeford, at 503-584-3861.