Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
ATV Safety Training

ATV Safety Instruction

There are two types of training available to  Class I, Class III, and Class IV operators:
On-line and Hands-on. 

On-line Safety Training: Mandatory for all Class I and Class III operators.

The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department ATV Safety Education Course is online-and it's free! This course provides safety tips for riding in Oregon's dunes, desert and forests as well as training on trail etiquette, riding ethics and environmental concerns.
Passing the Online Oregon Parks and Recreation Department's ATV Safety Education Course is a free and convenient way to receive the new ATV Safety Education Card that is required for all operators of quads and motorcycles. Both the ATV Safety Education Course and the ATV Safety Education Card are free and never expire.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Because this training material covers material not presented in hands-on training courses, previous ASI or MSF Operator Permit holders will also need to take this course. 
Click here for Online Safety Training                                               

HANDS-ON RIDER TRAINING: Mandatory for youth 15 years old and younger
Hands-on training is a requirement for youth 15 and under in addition to the on-line safety course.  There are as many as 35,000 youth that may need to be trained. Because of this, training opportunities may be hard to find. Avoid the rush and get trained now!

Already Trained?
Those who have already received hands-on training via ASI or MSF and have completed the on-line safety training (above) have already met this requirement and can get a new, endorsed, ATV Safety Education Card at no cost now! Just send us a copy of the card provided by the hands-on instructor with an application and we’ll do the rest.
**To save information typed into this form, you must have Adobe Reader version 8.0, which is available for free from the link at the bottom of this site.
Oregon Administrative Rule 736-004-0105 allows the following exemptions to possessing the ATV Safety Education Card”
1.  Non-residents riding in Oregon are exempt from carrying a State of Oregon ATV Safety Education Card if they possess an ATV Safety Education Card or equivalent issued by their resident state or nation.
    - An ATV Safety Education Card issued in another state or nation shall be honored in the State of Oregon if the issuing state or nation also honors an Oregon ATV Safety Education Card.
    - The operator must have a State of Oregon ATV Safety Education Card if mandatory education is not required in their home state or nation to operate an ATV on public lands.
2.  A person operating a Class I or Class III in a sanctioned competitive ATV event is not required to carry an ATV Safety Education Card.
NOTE: A person residing in Oregon who is required to possess an ATV Safety Education Card and is in possession of a certificate issued by another state or nation that is equivalent to Oregon’s ATV Safety Education Card may use that certificate as a temporary Safety Education Card and may operate an ATV in Oregon for no more than 30 days form date of residency provided the document is in the possession of the operator.
Back to Top

Instructor Resources

Do you teach Class I or Class III ATV courses in Oregon?
Click here to access forms and publications to assist you in your training.
Click here to log in and announce your upcoming training courses on our training locator or to issue cards to students you have trained.
- If you do not have a login ID yet, call the ATV Safety Education Coordinator at (503) 986-0585.
- Having trouble logging in? Call the ATV hotline at (877) 772-3359.
Back to Top

OPRD OHV Safety Trailer

OPRD has a 24 foot safety trailer – ideal for large events. We have a fun & free quiz for kids to win cool stickers as well as dozens of informative handouts, brochures and maps.
Click here to learn more about the OHV Safety Trailer
Back to Top

ATV Safety Laws and Rules

The laws and rules affecting ATV riding change almost yearly. Make sure that you are up to speed on what you (and your youth riders) need to operate on Oregon’s public lands.
Click here to see what you need to ride your class of ATV on public lands 
Back to Top