Information Collected When You Browse Our Site
If you do nothing during your visit to this web site but browse or download information, we automatically collect and store the standard data collected by all web server software. That information is as follows:
- The Internet Protocol (IP) address and domain name used (but not the e-mail address). The IP address is a numerical identifier assigned either to your Internet service provider or directly to your computer. We use the Internet IP to respond to your browser request. Example: 188.8.131.52;
- The Domain name (DNS) assigned on the Internet to your IP Address (if there is one). Example: somename.com;
- The type of browser and operating system you used. Example: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows NT; IE4WDUS-1998101501);
- The date and time you visited this site;
- The web pages or services you accessed at this site; and
- The web site you visited prior to coming to this web site. (Note: this is included so that summary analysis can be done on how visitors get to this site, i.e., from a search engine, from a link on another site, etc.)
We summarize this information to determine how often our pages are being used (5). We do not track individual user navigation choices. We summarize what browsers are being used on our site to determine what techniques we can use to develop pages that will work with different browsers (3). And we summarize our traffic by organization name to determine such things as the search engines that are good at directing people to the site (6) and what organizations are our most frequent users (2) to better target our content for the audience.
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this site may monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. If security monitoring reveals evidence of possible abuse or criminal activity, system personnel may provide the results of such monitoring to appropriate officials. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the state law and federal statutes including the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act of 1996.