|The equivalency exam is a 75-question, multiple-choice exam designed for experienced boaters. The exam is administered by a proctor at a pre-scheduled location. The test covers all aspects of boating safety in Oregon. Most questions test the boater's knowledge of power boating, as well as questions on personal watercraft and sailboating. The equivalency exam is NOT for everyone. Even experienced boaters are encouraged to study for the exam. BoatOregon - A Course On Responsible Boating, is available from the Marine Board or your local marine patrol office. |
Boat Oregon - A Course on Responsible Boating: This study guide includes chapter review exercises to help you prepare for the equivalency exam.
These study guides are available for FREE from the Oregon State Marine Board office in Salem or your local Sheriff's Office.
To order a copy, contact the Marine Board and we will mail it to you.
|Equivalency Exams are proctored by Marine Patrol officers in the following counties. Pre-registration is required. Often times officers are on patrol in the field, so please leave your name and contact phone number and your call will be returned about registering for an equivalency exam. |
- Call Dispatch at (541) 523-6415 , ask for Dep. Adam Robb for information on local equivalency exams and to set up a time for the exam.
- Corvallis - Pre-registration required. Call Sgt. Toby Bottorff at (541) 766-6099 for an appointment. Exams are given at their office at 185 NW 5th, Corvallis.
- Clackamas - Pre-register through the Clackamas County Sheriff's Boathouse at (503) 655-8650. Leave a message on the answering machine with your name, phone number and desire to take an equivalency exam. A deputy will contact you when two or more are signed up, to schedule an exam date/time that works best. Testing is at the sheriff's office, located at 82nd & Sunnybrook in Clackamas.
- Astoria - Pre-register through the Clatsop County Sheriff's Office. Call (503) 325-8635 and ask for a Marine Deputy. Leave a message with your name, phone number, and desire to take an equivalency exam. Test location is the Sheriff's Office 355 7th.
- Call the sheriff's office at (503) 366-4611 for information on local equivalency exams.
- Call Deputy Doug Strain at (541) 396-7809 for information on equivalency exams.
- Prineville - One-hour Equivalency Exam offered periodically. Pre-study is required. You must obtain the Boat Oregon Book from the Sheriff's Office, 308 E. 2nd St. in Prineville and study the material in order to pass. Those who pass will be eligible to obtain their Boater Education Card through the Oregon State Marine Board. All material will be provided by the Sheriff's Office. For more information please call The Crook County Marine Patrol Office at (541) 447-6398.
- Gold Beach - Curry County Sheriff's Office is located at 450 N. Ellensburg. For more information contact Deputy Ted Heath at (541) 247-3250.
- Bend - Pre-register through the Deschutes County Marine Patrol.
- Call Dep. Bob Wittwer at (541) 388-6503 to set up an appointment.
- Exams held at 63333 West Highway 20 -Sheriff's Office.
- Call Deputy Brian Melvin at the Douglas County Sheriff's Office at (541) 440-4447 for more information and to schedule an exam.
- None offered at this time.
- None offered at this time.
- Burns: Call Sr. Tr. Randy Caldwell with OSP at 541-573-6132 ext. 23 to pre-register.
- Hood River - Tests will be scheduled as community interest dictates. Contact Deputy Mike Anderson, Hood River County Marine Patrol at (541) 386-2098.
- Medford / White City - Pre-register through the Jackson County Sheriff's Office at (541) 864-8844
- Tests are scheduled for Saturdays 9:00am-10:00am.
- Pre-register through the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office. Call Sgt. Marc Heckathorn at (541) 475-6520 x 4315 for more information.
- Grants Pass - Contact Instructor John Salinas for more information: 541-660-5783.
- Klamath Falls - Testing will be held Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (excluding recognized state and federal holidays). Testing held at Sheriff's Office, 3300 Vandenberg Rd. Call 541-883-5130 to schedule an exam.
- Lakeview - Call Deputy Daniel Tague at (541) 947-6027, for information on local equivalency exams.
- Eugene - Please contact Rick Parsons (USCGA Eugene) at (541) 463-1797 regarding scheduling an exam.
- Newport -Please contact Bev Divis (USCGA Flotilla 54) at (541) 867-6788 or at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding scheduling a proctored exam. A location for testing will be determined at the time of call.
- Albany - Exams are held at the Linn County Sheriff's Office, 1115 Jackson St., SE, in Albany. Contact Linn County Marine Patrol at 1-800-884-3911.
- Ontario/Vale - Equivalency Exams offered upon request. Pre-register through the Malheur County Sheriff's Office, Deputy Anthony Hackman, (541) 473-5126.
- Location: 151 B Street W., Vale, OR 97918
- Salem - Equivalency exams offered upon request. Call the Education Section at (503) 378-8587 to schedule an exam. Exam is given at the Marine Board Office, 435 Commercial St. NE #400 (see map).
- Heppner - Tests held at Stokes Landing Senior Center. Contact Morrow County Sheriff's Office, Sergeant Randy Rayburn at (541) 676-5317 for dates and times.
- Portland Metro area - Pre-registration required. Call Multnomah County Sheriff's Office at (503) 988-6788 (River Patrol Office) to schedule an exam time.
- Dallas - Pre-register through the Polk County Sheriff's Office, at (503) 623-9251. Office is located at 850 Main Street in Dallas.
- All tests will be at 7:00 p.m. in the main conference room at the Polk County Courthouse next to the Sheriff's Office.
- Call Deputy James Burgett at (541) 565-3622 for information on local equivalency exams.
- Pacific City - Pre-register contact Tillamook County Sheriff's Office, Deputy Chuck Reeder, at (503) 815-3316. Equivalency exams can be taken at the Tillamook County Sheriff's Office -5995 Long Prairie Rd., Tillamook, 97141.
- Tillamook/Garibaldi - Pre-register contact Tillamook County Sheriff's Office at (503) 815-3316. A Marine Deputy will contact you to arrange for date and time.
- Pendleton - Free 4-hour class and test. Call 541-966-3601 for test dates. Study book is "Boat Oregon" and is available at the Umatilla County Justice Center, 4700 NW Pioneer Place in Pendleton.
- LaGrande - Contact Deputy Tad Butcher at 541-963-1017 to pre-register.
- Enterprise - Pre-register by calling Deputy Lawrence McBurney, 541-426-3131.
- The Dalles - Call Chief Deputy Lane Magill or Deputy Gavin Marble at the Wasco County Marine Patrol at (541) 506-2580 for class information.
- None offered at this time.
- McMinnville - Pre-register through the Yamhill County Sheriff's Office, Lt. Steve Warden (503) 434-7506. Office is located at 535 E. 5th St, Rm 143.