(1) It is the policy of the State Marine Board to promote multiple use and enjoyment of waters of the state for a variety of boating activities. The Board recognizes and will uphold to the extent practicable the universal right of the public to navigate and use the waters of the state for boating.
(2) The Board is authorized to regulate through administrative rules boating in specific locations or on specific waterways in the interest of protecting public safety, property, water quality, fish and wildlife resources or for the purpose of reducing excessive congestion and conflict between users, and promoting uniformity of laws pertaining to such use.
(3) The Board will seek to resolve problems arising from or between boating activities on a waterway by using a variety of management measures including education, information, signing, voluntary restrictions or increased law enforcement of existing laws before acting to restrict public use and enjoyment of boats.
(4) It is the policy of the Board to exercise its regulatory authority based upon sufficient information, public testimony or evidence that establishes a demonstrated need to enact administrative rules.
(5) The Board will seek the concurrence and recommendations of affected local jurisdictions and authorities before adopting regulations for local waterways.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 830.110
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 830.175