Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

OSMB FAQ's, Privacy Policy & Links

FAQ's - Boat Titles and Registration

1) How soon will I receive the Title and/or Certificate of Number (registration card) plus decals in the mail?
You should receive your boat Title and/or Certificate of Number (registration card) plus decals within 5-7 business days.

2) How do I request an Address Change?
After logging into RegLine, choose the Address Change link on the left menu or email Marine.Board@state.or.us with the boat’s Certificate of Number, primary owner name, old address, new address and a phone number.  You may also mail in the Address Change details. 

3) I notice that some of the details about my boat are incorrect. How do I get them corrected?
If the length, model year, hull id or some other detail is incorrect, please contact the Marine Board for assistance at Marine.Board@state.or.us or (503) 378-8587.

4) Can I register more than one boat in the same transaction?
Yes.  RegLine will allow you to request various services with one payment.  Some restrictions apply for Outfitter/Guides and AIS permits.  Please review instructions during the application process.

5) Can I use my boat while waiting for the title and/or registration to be issued?
Yes. At the end of a successfully completed transaction, you will have the opportunity to print a temporary permit allowing use of the boat for 30 days.  The permit can be reprinted if necessary until it expires.

6) When will the boat registration expire?
Registration is issued beginning November 1st each year for a two year calendar basis always expiring December 31st.  Example:  Registration issued November 1, 2014 through October 31, 2015 will expire December 31, 2016.

7) I can’t find the boat registration renewal notice with the PIN number. What do I do?
At RegLine, login or click on the ‘Register’ tab to retrieve your account information.  Once logged in, boats with registration due will be available to renew.  If you need additional assistance contact the Marine Board at (503) 378-8587 or email to Marine.Board@state.or.us.  

8) I am using the OR and PIN number from the Boat Registration Renewal notice, but my boat isn’t found. What do I do?
Please call (503) 378-8587 or email the Marine.Board@state.or.us.  

9) I haven’t renewed my boat registration for several years. Can I still renew registration online?
Yes, Login to RegLine or click on the Register tab to retrieve your account information.  Once logged in, boats with registration due will be available to renew.  If you do not see the boat you wish to renew listed, please contact the Marine Board at (503) 378-8587 or email to Marine.Board@state.or.us​.  The boat may have been purged for inactivity and will need to be added back before it can be renewed.

10) How do I request a duplicate Certificate of Number (registration card) with our without decals?
To order a replacement Certificate of Number (registration card) with or without decals, login to Regline and click on the ‘Duplicate Registration’ link on the left menu.  By mail, send a check for $10 noting the OR number on the check memo to OSMB,  PO Box 14145, Salem OR 97309-5065.

11) I just bought a boat. Can I apply for title and registration online?
Yes. To request a boat title and registration, login to Regline and click on the ‘Boat Title and/or Registration Application’ link on the left menu.  Be prepared to submit supporting proof of ownership documents that have been saved as .pdf, .jpg or .doc not exceeding 10 Mb in size to upload during the online application process. By mail, send completed Application for Boat Title and/or Registration, the original Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin or Certificate of Title for a Boat and a check or money order payable to the Marine Board for the applicable fees. 

12) What are the fees for a boat title and/or registration?

​FEE SCHEDULE​​ ​Effective 11/01/2013
​Oregon Title Transfer ​$30
Oregon Title - NEW boats or Out-of-State Transfers ​$30
​Lost Title replacement with change of ownership $30
​Lost Title replacement without change of ownership ​$15
Duplicate Certificate of Number (registration card) $10
Duplicate Decals and Certificate of Number (registration card) $10
NOTE: A late penalty fee of $25 is charged for Oregon titles received by the Marine Board or Registration Agent 30 days after the dated release signature of the owner of record on the title.
Any length motorized boat and sailboats 12 feet and longer, in use (in the water), must pay current registration fees. Registration is issued on a 2-year calendar basis, with all decals expiring December 31st of the year indicated. There is no retroactive payment for years the boat was not in use and no late penalty for registration.
Registration is $3 per foot based on center length of the vessel, bow to stern, rounded up, plus a $5 Aquatic Invasive Species Surcharge (See Aquatic Invasive Species section below.)
For example:
A boat 17 feet 3 inches = 18 feet (times $3/foot) = $54 + $5, a total of $59

Back to Top

FAQ's - Boater Education Card

13) Who needs to carry a Boater Education Card?
Oregon's Mandatory Boater Education law passed by the 1999 Oregon Legislature requires boaters to take a course on basic boating skills and/or pass a test to demonstrate basic boating knowledge. Upon passing a test, the boater needs to apply for a boater education card which they must carry when operating a power boat more than 10 hp. 
  • All Oregon residents operating a power boat greater than 10 horsepower, and youth 12 and over operating any size powerboat, must carry a boater education card.
  • Youths must be 12 or older to obtain a boater education card. Youths 11 or younger may not operate any power boat.
  • A person age 12-15 who possesses a boater education card may operate a boat of 10 hp or less without an adult on board.
  • A person age 12-15 who possesses a boater education card may operate a boat of greater than 10 hp if accompanied by an adult 16 or older who also possesses a boater education card. If operating a PWC, the card holding adult must be 18 or older.
14) Is anyone exempt from needing a Boater Education Card?
Yes.  Exemptions apply to: 
  • Out-of-state and foreign visitors: If they will be boating in Oregon for less than 60 days or hold a boater education card from another state.
  • Boaters with a current Coast Guard Boat Operator License: Boaters such as guides and barge operators who hold a current Coast Guard Boat Operator License are exempt from the requirement.
  • Commercial Fisherman: Boaters who hold a current commercial fishing license do not have to carry a boater education card when operating recreationally but do need to carry their commercial license or documentation. (ORS 830.092(2))
  • Non-certified, supervised adults: The law allows a non-certified adult to operate a power boat IF under direct supervision of an adult 16 or older who is carrying a boater education card. If operating a PWC, the card holding adult must be 18 or older.
  • New Boat Owners: New Owners with a temporary certificate of number are exempt, for up to 60 days.
  • Boat Renters: Renters will be exempt, but must complete a watercraft rental safety checklist, provided by the rental agency.
15) What are my options for getting boating safety training?
There are currently three options: 
  • Classroom Course: Boating safety classroom courses are offered by many different organizations, including the Oregon State Marine Board, U.S. Power Squadron and U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary. The course must be approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) and by the Oregon State Marine Board.
  • Internet Course: Anyone with access to the Internet can take one of the approved online courses. 
  • Equivalency Exam: This proctored exam is designed for the experienced boater who knows the rules and regulations for safe boating in Oregon waters. 
To access more information on any of these options, go to www.boatoregon.com and click on the links under the Boating Safety Education section.

16) How much does a Boater Education Card cost?
There is a one-time fee of $10 for the boater education card.  The card is good for life and does not need to be renewed.

17) Can I use the course completion certificate that I got years ago?
Yes, as long as you have the course completion certificate or diploma, you are qualified to apply for your Oregon boater education card. 

18) How do I apply to get my Boater Education Card?
You can apply for the card online. You will need to be ready to pay for the card with a credit card and upload a copy of one of the following: 
  • A certificate of completion issued to you by an approved boating safety course provider.
  • A certificate, card or other official document issued by another state or Canada that is equivalent to Oregon's boater education card.
  • A U.S. Coast Guard operator license, either valid or expired.
  • U.S. Coast Guard Crewman or Coxswain or equivalent credentials.
Upon completion of the transaction, you will be able to print a temporary permit, valid for 60 days while your new card is processed and mailed to you.

19) How do I apply to get a Replacement Card?
The fee for a replacement boater education card is $8. You may apply for the Replacement Card online. You will need to be ready to pay the fee with a credit card.  Upon completion of the transaction, you will be able to print a temporary permit, valid for 60 days while your new card is processed and mailed to you.

20) What if I need to change my name on the card? 
When applying for a Replacement card, you will be able to edit your name as it appears on the card.  You will need to be ready to upload a copy of one of the following: 
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Current Driver's License showing the name change
  • Court Document
  • State Issued Identification Card
  • Passport
21) What if I do not receive my Boater Education Card?
If you have applied for, and not received your boater education card within 60 days, call the Marine Board at 503-378-8587 and ask for the Education Section.
Back to Top

FAQ's - Aquatic Invasive Species Permit (AISPP)

22) What is the Aquatic Invasive Species Permit Program?
Designed to help prevent an ecological and financial crisis, the 2009 Oregon Legislature passed House Bill 2220 implementing the Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Program. The goal is to prevent invasive species from entering or spreading through our state, clogging waterways, damaging ecosystems and economies, and restricting recreational boating. The program is funded by a $5 biennial surcharge on a motorized boat or sailboat registration, a $5 annual fee on manually powered boats 10 feet or longer, and a $20 annual fee for non-resident motorized boats. For motorized boats and sailboats, the registration decal is proof the fee has been paid. No additional documentation is necessary. Non-motorized boat invasive species permits are sold separately from motorized and sailboat registrations. Permits are printed on water-resistant paper from ODFW agents and as tyvek tags from the Marine Board.
Here’s how to prevent the spread of invasive species:
  • Clean your boat, motor and trailer of all aquatic plants and animals after each use.
  • Drain all interior compartments including the bilge, livewell and storage areas.
  • Dry thoroughly for five or more days with all hatches open.
The threat is real, but prevention is easy. Never Launch a Dirty Boat. Visit www.boatoregon.com for more information.

23) Why do boaters need an Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Permit?
  • Aquatic invasive species seriously damage waterbodies. Species like the quagga mussel and Eurasian watermilfoil "hitchhike" from one body of water to the next, primarily on boats. Revenues from permits will fund a new statewide prevention program to help protect our waters.
  • Quagga and zebra mussels can quickly encrust surfaces and cause severe economic and environmental harm. If they spread to the Pacific Northwest, the threats to hydropower, irrigated agriculture, drinking water, recreation and salmon recovery will be immeasurable. 
24) Are there any exemptions to the new law?
 Yes, but they're very limited and specific.
  • Non-motorized boats and float toys under 10 feet in length;
  • Federal, state, county and municipality-owned watercraft used for official business;
  • A ship's lifeboat used solely for lifesaving purposes;
  • Seaplanes;
  • Eleemosynary groups; (Eleemosynary organizations are those which are operated primarily as a part of organized activities for the purpose of teaching youths scoutcraft, camping, seamanship, self-reliance, patriotism, courage and kindred virtues). Defined in ORS 830.790.
  • Surfboards, sailboards and kiteboards.
25) Is there a minimum age?
  • Manually powered boats 10 feet long and longer are required to have an Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention permit on board ONLY if the operator is an individual age 14 or older.
  • Youth 13 or younger are not required to carry a permit. 
26) How long does it take to receive my AIS permit?
At completion of the online order, you may print a temporary permit valid for 14 days. The Marine Board will process orders each workday and you should receive your AIS permit(s) in 3-5 business days.

27) What if I lose my permit? How do I get a replacement?
No replacements will be issued. Boaters will need to purchase another permit. The fees paid are non-refundable.

28) Can I get a refund?
No, the fee is non-refundable.

29) Who do I contact if I have questions?
Please call the AIS Desk (503) 378-6249 or email Marine.Board@state.or.us.

30) What does this mean for those with manually powered boats (paddlecraft)?
  • Manually powered boats (paddle boards, rafts, drift boats, kayaks, canoes, etc.) 10 feet long and longer will need to carry one permit per boat when in use.
  • Permits are transferrable to other manually powered craft.
  • Permits can be loaned to friends and family members. Example: 1. If there are three people in a drift boat, only one of them is required to carry a permit. 2. If there are three people in three kayaks, each individual needs to carry a permit on board.
  • The same permit is required for Oregon residents AND out-of-state visitors using manually powered boats.
31) When do the permits expire? 
Permits expire on December 31st of the year printed on the permit.

32) What about sailboats under 12 feet?
Sailboats under 12 feet are not required to be registered with the Marine Board. So if a sailboat is between 10 and 12 feet, the boater will also need a $5 annual Permit.

33) What about Stand-Up Paddle Boards (SUP's). Do they need a permit?
YES. The USCG determined that stand-up paddle boards are considered boats for the purpose of life jacket requirements. Based on this determination, and if the stand-up paddle board is 10 feet or longer, the operator would need to have a permit.

34) What about boats from Washington or Idaho?
  • Boats from neighboring states boating within the main stem of their common interstate boundary waters (Snake or Columbia Rivers) do not need an Oregon permit if they are compliant within their state.
  • Manually powered boats from Washington or Idaho may launch in Oregon tributaries within ONE RIVER MILE of the Columbia or Snake rivers without a permit, only for the purposes of accessing the Columbia and Snake rivers.
35) What about rent/lease (livery) businesses?
Non-motorized liveries (rental businesses) will receive a quantity discount on permits which must be purchased directly from the Oregon State Marine Board.

36) What about clubs?
Clubs can purchase multiple permits for use by members and friends.

37) What about surf boards, sailboards or kiteboards? Do they need a permit?
No, based on the definition of a "boat," these devices are exempt. 

Back to Top

Privacy Notice

38) What is the Marine Board’s Privacy Statement?
In the State of Oregon laws exist to ensure that government is open and that the public has a right to access appropriate records and information possessed by state government.  All information collected by this site becomes a public record unless an exemption in law exists.  ORS Chapter 192 contains Oregon Public Record Law. Personal information such as name, address and telephone number may be exempt from disclosure if disclosure would constitute an unreasonable invasion of privacy.

The Oregon State Marine Board does not sell or otherwise provide any personal information collected on Marine Board eCommerce applications to any external entity except as expressly stated on this site, or as otherwise permitted by law. If you send us an electronic mail message that contains personal information we will only use this information to respond to your request.  We may forward your message on to another department or agency in a better position to answer your question.

Information presented on this website is considered public information and may be distributed or copied. However, all information submitted to the Marine Board via this site shall be deemed and remain the property of the Marine Board and the State of Oregon, except those submissions made under separate legal contract. The Marine Board shall be free to use, for any purpose, any ideas, concepts, or techniques contained in information provided to the Marine Board through this site. ​

39) What information do we collect?
The Oregon State Marine Board may collect the following information from visitors to our web site:
  • Internet Protocol (IP) Address,
  • Type of browser and operating system used to access our site ("IE 10", "Windows 7"),
  • Date and time the user accessed our site,
  • Information regarding which pages the user accessed or visited,
  • If you link to our site from another web site, we collect the address of the other web site,
  • Information provided by the user, such as e-mail address, credit card number, and
  • Error conditions that may have occurred, including (under some circumstances) arguments which may have been supplied by the user to the program being run.
40) How do we use the information we collect?
Information provided by the user is the minimal data needed to successfully complete a web transaction. We use contact information (like name and shipping address) and financial information (like credit card number, expiration date). This information is used for billing purposes and to fill customer’s orders. If we have trouble processing an order, this contact information is used to get in touch with the user.  

Sometimes we forward your e-mail to other government employees who may be better able to help you. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, we do not share our e-mail with any other outside organizations.  However, please note that e-mails received from this site are considered public record. Certain information contained in the e-mail may be protected from general release under Oregon's Public Records Law (ORS 192.410-192.505) or Oregon's Record Privacy Law (ORS 802.175-802.191).  This information may only be released if a requestor qualifies under the law to receive the information. ​

Information collected automatically by our server is analyzed to help us understand how you use our web services and how we can improve our site to better meet your needs. This information is also used to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information. Such unauthorized attempts may be punishable under state and federal statutes including The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act of 1996.

41) What about Cookies?
A cookie is a small text file created by a web site on your computer hard drive that contains unique information that the site can use to track such things as passwords, lists of pages you have visited, the date you last looked at a page, or identification of your session on the site.
This site does store cookies. The cookies stored are used to keep track of your session so that as you are going through the payment process the system knows who you are and can keep track of any information that you submit.

Back to Top

e-Commerce Security

42) Is my information safe and secure?

While no computing environment is 100% secure, we take every precaution to protect the user's information. When a user submits sensitive information via the web, that information is protected both online and off-line.

When a form asks users to enter confidential information (such as credit card number and/or social security number), that information is encrypted and is protected using Secure Sockets Encryption.

We strive to protect user information off-line. Access to all user information is restricted in our offices. Only employees who need the information to perform necessary functions are granted access to this information. Sensitive data is stored in a secure format unless otherwise approved by the Oregon State Marine Board.

The Oregon E-government Payment Gateway is certified at the highest levels of the Payment Card Industry security standards, and is subject to ongoing security audits by a highly trained 3rd-party auditor. In addition, the IBM Commerce application used by the Oregon E-government program also complies with payment card industry best practices.

The Oregon State Marine Board makes no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of this website and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions in the contents of this website. No warranty of any kind, implied, expressed or statutory, including but not limited to the warranties of non-infringement of third party rights, title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and freedom from computer virus, is given with respect to the contents of this website or its hyperlinks to other Internet resources. Reference in this website to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public, and does not constitute endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the Oregon State Marine Board. 

Back to Top

Refund & Return Policy

43) What is the Marine Board’s Refund and Return Policy?
The Marine Board  will refund a payment upon request by a customer who mistakenly paid online or refund by check when a double payment is made such as online and then also by check via mail. 

44) When will my credit card be charged?
Credit charges will be processed the next business day and orders fulfilled within 3 to 5 business days.

Back to Top
45) What about Links to Other Web Sites?
Information presented on this web site is considered public information and may be distributed, copied or linked to from non-Marine Board websites. However, the contents of this website may not be used for commercial purposes or to imply endorsement by the Marine Board of products or services. For further information contact the Marine Board.
This site has links to other web sites as a convenience to our customers.  These include links to web sites operated by other government agencies, non-profit organizations, local municipalities, and private businesses.  When you use one of these links, you are no longer on this site and this Privacy Notice will not apply.  When you link to another web site, you are subject to the privacy policy of that new site. 
Links from the Marine Board website to external websites are decided on an individual case basis by the Marine Board staff having responsibility for the website. Decisions to link to external sites are made after assessing relevance to the Marine Board's mission, maintenance and other factors. Links to external sites may not be used to endorse a particular non-Governmental product or service or provide preferential treatment.
Logos and graphics may be used on non-Marine Board web sites as graphic buttons that link back to the official Marine Board web site. Marine Board logos and graphics may not be used to create a non-official website that gives the appearance and general look and feel of the official agency website.

Back to Top

Contact the OSMB

46) How do I contact the Marine Board? 
The Marine Board telephone number is (503) 378-8587.
The agency email address is Marine.Board@state.or.us​
The physical address is:
435 Commercial Street NE #400 
Salem, OR 97301-3481. 

All correspondence should be sent to:
PO Box 14145 
Salem, OR 97309-5065
Back to Top
Weather and River Conditions:
References and Online Maps:
Law Enforcement and Services:
Marine Electronics: 

Back to Top