George M. Brown was born in Douglas county, near Roseburg, May 5, 1864, son of Thomas and Sarah (Fleet) Brown. On November 8, 1895 he married Miss Bertha A. Bellows. He received his early education in the Garden Valley Public School, later attending the Umpqua Academy at Wilbur, graduating in 1885, with degree of B. S. He also attended Willamette University.
Judge Brown began the study of law in the office of Hon. J. C. Fullerton and was admitted to the bar of Oregon on October 7, 1891. He was elected District Attorney of the Second Judicial District in 1894, serving until 1896, and re-elected to represent the same district in 1898, and served continuously for 18 1/2 years. This district then comprised Lane, Benton, Curry, Douglas, Lincoln and Coos counties; in 1907 the State Legislature changed the district to comprise Douglas, Lincoln and Curry counties. His term as District Attorney expired January 1913. January 1, 1910, he formed a partnership with B. L. Eddy, where they followed a general practice in Roseburg. November 1914 he was elected Attorney General of the State of Oregon and held that office for six years, until October 1920, when he was appointed Justice of the Supreme Court by Governor Olcott to succeed Justice A. S. Bennett.
Judge Brown died (sic)