Cape Blanco (5S6)
Constructed in 1944-45 by the Civil Aeronautics Authority as the Curry County Airport and was then leased to the U.S. Navy, Curry County owned part of the property and part of it was leased from the Oregon State Highway Department. The county portion of the airport was acquired by Aeronautics in 1966 and Aeronautics took possession of the airport at that time. The portion owned by the Oregon Highway Department was transferred to Aeronautics in 1971. No facilities are located at the airport.
Cape Blanco State Airport was constructed by the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads and was used by the U.S. Navy. In 1966, the Board of Aeronautics acquired the airport from Curry County and the State Highway Department. Located approximately three miles southwest of the community of Denmark, west of U.S. Route 101, Cape Blanco State Airport is situated one mile from the Pacific Ocean.
The airport plays a supportive role in the current system, providing access to the surrounding recreational areas, inlcuding several State parks, the Oregon Islands National Wildlife Refuge, and the Orford and Blanco reefs. There are several large turboprop business aircraft currently operating at the airport. The location of the airport also allows for continuation of the Oregon coastal airport system.
Location: 92211 Airport Road, Sixes, OR 97476
Lat/Long: 42-51.47N / 124-31.06W
Transportation: Motels usually provide airport pick-up.
259 6th Street 460 Madrona Avenue 517 Jefferson Street
Port Orford, OR 97465 Port Orford, OR 97465 Port Orford, OR 97465
(541)332-8601 (541)332-4515 (541)366-2200
499 5th Street 44 Hwy 101 South 92978 Cemetery Loop
Port Orford, OR 97465 Port Orford, OR 97456 Port Orford, OR 97465
(541)332-4502 (541)332-3040 1(866)333-9453
Remarks: Airport camping is permitted. Cape Blanco State Park. Lighthouse and historic Hughes House open from April to October; Restrooms; Hiking trails; Rock formations; Beach; Horse trial/camp.