Inspector certifications

Scope of work

Residential plumbing inspectors conduct inspections and plan reviews on plumbing work ​performed in one- and two-family dwellings, townhouses, manufactured dwelling parks, recreational parks, organizational camps, and picnic parks. Inspectors work to ensure compliance with the following codes and standards:

  • ​Oregon Residential Specialty Code (ORSC)
    ​​​​The plumbing provisions for residential structures are located in the Oregon Plumbing Specialty Code (OPSC)
  • Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards, 24 CFR 3280 and 3282
  • Oregon Manufactured Dwelling Installation Specialty Code (OMDISC)

Certification pathways​

There are two ways to obtain this certification: apply to take the division exam or enroll in the division CAP training course​. Review the following qualifications to decide which path is best for you.

Core qualifications

An individual seeking this code certification must first obtain the Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC). In addition, one of the following must be met:

  • ​Two years of experience performing building permit inspections or plan reviews for or on behalf of a jurisdiction
  • A bachelor's or master's degree in architecture or engineering; or be a certified architect or engineer​

Individuals who do not meet one of the above qualifications may instead complete a code certification training course administered by the division. (If hired by a municipality, this requirement must be met within six months of hire.)

Specific qualifications

To qualify using inspection experience you must have one of the following:

  • A valid Oregon Plumbing Specialty Code Inspector certification (PI)
  • Two years of experience as a plumbing inspector in another jurisdiction inspecting plumbing systems in commercial or residential structures for compliance with a recognized code for plumbing installations
  • A valid Residential Structural Inspector certification (CAS) ​and one year experience administering and enforcing the code
    This qualification requires the completion of the division CAP training course.
    *​Note: Inspectors certified by a nationally recognized certification body to inspect commercial and residential plumbing installations may be granted the one year experience requirement for the cross-training program.

To qualify using plumbing trade experience you must have two years of experience designing and installing plumbing systems as a journeyman plumber or its equivalent.

To qualify using education and training you must have 90 quarter hours or 60 semester hours education and training in mechanical engineering, which includes designing and installing plumbing systems, through a college or community college.

An individual can also qualify using a combination of experience or education equivalent totaling three years.​​​​​​​​​​