Inspector certifications

National certification conversion

Beginning Nov. 1, 2016, any International Code Council (ICC) or other nationally recognized certification must be converted to an equivalent Oregon certification to perform work under that certification in Oregon.

After a person's nationally recognized certification has been converted to an Oregon certification, the person is only responsible for maintaining his/her Oregon certification. Individuals may choose to continue to maintain a national certification, but it is not necessary to perform work in Oregon.

See step 2 (below) for a list of recognized certifications. There is space on the application to submit information about other nationally recognized certifications that are not currently on the list. If the division determines there is an equivalent Oregon code certification, it will convert the certification.

Follow these steps to apply to convert your national certification:

Step 1: Review the qualifications

To convert a nationally recognized certification, an individual must have an Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC) and one of the following:

  • Completion of a code certification training class administered by the division (if you have been hired by a municipality, you can complete this training within six months of hire)*
  • Two years of experience performing building permit inspections or plan reviews*
  • A degree in architecture or engineering, or be a certified architect or engineer*
*Note: These background requirements do not apply if you were employed as an inspector in Oregon prior to April 1, 2016.

Step 2: Identify the Oregon code certification

The division recognizes the following nationally recognized certifications, and will issue an equivalent Oregon code certification:

Nationally recognized certification Equivalent Oregon certification
Commercial building inspector​ (ICC B2) Structural inspector A-Level (SIA)
Building plans examiner (ICC B3) Structural plans examiner A-Level (PEA)
Fire plans examiner (ICC F3) Fire & life safety plans examiner (PEF)
Commercial mechanical inspector (ICC M2) Mechanical inspector A-Level (MIA)
Residential building inspector (ICC B1) Residential structural inspector (CAS)
Residential plans examiner (ICC R3) Residential plans examiner (CAX)
Medical gas inspector (ASSE 60) Medical gas plumbing inspector (MGI)

The division will issue an Oregon certification for other nationally recognized certifications where the division finds the certification is equivalent to an Oregon certification.

You must submit evidence of the national certification(s) to the division. Photocopies of certifications are acceptable – you do not need to submit originals.

Step 3: Submit application and fee

If you have the experience identified in step 1 and evidence of a certification from step 2, submit the National Certification Conversion Application.

  • Mail or fax all completed documents along with the appropriate fee(s) in a single packet to the Oregon Building Codes Division.
  • The mailing address and payment instructions are listed on page 1 of the application. Please do not email any documents to the division.
  • The division will review your application to determine if an Oregon code certification should be issued. If appropriate, the division will mail your certification to you.