The Building Official Certification course is designed for individuals seeking certification from the State of Oregon as a building official, and who meet the following two requirements:
- Individual is employed by a municipality and may be assuming building official or assistant building official duties as needed.
- Individual is currently in negotiations with a municipality for employment as a building official or assistant building official. Verification may be required.
This course is mandatory for any individual who has been designated as a new building official for a municipality. The two-day course will review the history of Oregon’s unique regulatory system and address governing laws, program administration, roles and responsibilities, customer service in a regulatory environment, and other topics. The course is taught through an interactive format between the instructor and students. It is only taught in Salem and not available online.
- This is a two-day course (eight hours per day).
- This course must be attended live at BCD’s inspector training classroom in Salem.
- Registration is limited to 10 students. Individuals who are required by state law to take this course will have first priority in registration/seating (OAR 918-098-1025(3)). Assistant building officials may also be given priority seating, as they are often called upon to perform duties on behalf of the building official. Other registrations will be processed in the order received.
- Course materials are provided by the division.
- Oct. 11-12; registration closed-full.
Sign up for email notification when courses open for registration.
Time: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (two-day course)
Location: Building Codes Division, 1535 Edgewater St. NW, Salem, OR 97304